Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The cowardly cowl: for the non-knitter

made by sister
So, I really don't need another scarf. A little while ago I made this lemon buddy from a thrift store sweater, then my ever-so talented sister (who should totally start a blog showcasing her craftiness) crocheted a super cute cowl for me for Christmas, which I have been wearing all the time because I love it and it is so cute and warm.
BUT THEN.... a super duper talented friend of mine posted this on her blog and since I had been seeing some similar things on Pinterest, this one sold me. I felt I must have a cowl with a button. But the problem is I do. not. knit. and I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth from trying to teach myself. I googled "fear of knitting" in the hopes of finding a good picture to capture how I feel about it, but all I could find was this,
I don't know what is going on but it creeps me out about as much as the idea of trying to teach myself how to knit again.
I was 9 months pregnant with Naomi and trying to convince myself that I was nesting (I have come to the conclusion that I do not, in fact, "nest") when I tried to teach myself to knit, but by the end I just wanted to stab something or someone with the needle. Anger was the only emotion evoked from the experience and I think maybe I need some counseling in order to go back to that place and try again.

Anywho, I love love love these cowls with buttons and I feel like those of us who refuse to can't knit should not be deprived of this cute accessory. 
So I stood in front of my closet for a while yesterday looking around for something that could transform into one and I discovered another thrift store sweater that I bought with the intention of wearing and then it turned out that it simply added about 61/2 lbs to my midsection that I did not need. 
So without further ado, here is the sweater that I sewed into a little button cowl, a cowl for cowards if you will. And if you won't, you should:
Motherhood maternity blue-not my favorite color, but it's better than nothing
If you can hand stitch or use a sewing machine you can do this quickly, I think it took my about 30 minutes.
first I cut off the hood
Then cut down the sides about as wide as I thought I would want it
I cut to about the middle of the sweater because there was a pocket, but you could cut further down if you want a more chunky look
give the leftovers to your child to drape over themselves
Then go ahead and flip in inside out, hem the bottom, then sew up the sides. Then place the button where you want it and sew it on.


nothing fancy and I plan to buy a cooler button next time I am out, but you get the picture

And on me
it works
full length, because you needed it
And that's that
Although a freshly knitted one would undoubtedly be cuter and more comfortable, I feel some odd sense of fulfillment now until I can overcome my knitting fears.

Hasta la vista, baby

2 comments :

  1. looks great! thanks for the shout out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. geeeez. You are talented. And if you are talking about your sister April starting a blog. She must definitely start one.

    ReplyDelete