Tuesday, November 13, 2012

a decent substitute

It's that time of year again.

I am not talking about the holidays, pumpkins, trees, turkeys, all around seasonal goodness.

No, I am talking about it being November, the "holiday season" and I am attempting to shed some poundage. Again. I need to pick a different time of year to be trying to lose baby weight, for real.

One of my favorite things now-a-days is pumpkin spice creamer. I may have mentioned it once or twice here before. And as I am wont to do, I have decided to try a lower calorie, almost equally as tasty substitute to my daily morning indulgence.

I have been using up way too much of my daily point allowance on my coffee every day and need to cut back but I am entirely unwilling to just drink black coffee, or really to not drink heavily sweetened, heavily creamed coffee.

I got this idea from a super sweet, super fit friend and decided that I could probably learn a thing or two from her since she looked as good the week after she gave birth as she ever did pre-baby. If I could link to her I would, but alas, some are still blogless-- a tragedy of the greatest kind.

Without further ado, my decent sustitute to pumpkin spice creamer.

You're excited, aren't you? You shouldn't be, I have built this up way too much.
Here you go.

First brew yourself some coffee. That's always a good start.


Then, from the top: put some sweetener in your cup if you like that sort of thing-- if you're ok with unsweetened coffee then don't.

After that, throw in a good bit of pumpkin pie spice, found in the baking isle of your local grocer.

If you're into your coffee being on the milky/creamy side, go ahead and throw some cream or milk in (half and half is about half the calories of the flavored creamer).

Last, pour your coffee over it and enjoy.

Wow, I bet you never thought you would ever need so much coaching on how to fix your coffee.
You didn't, I apologize for that.

11 comments :

  1. I'm with you on the pumpkin spice addiction. another more labor intensive (but delicious!) method is to heat a little milk in a saucepan on medium low heat, add a bit of pumpkin puree, spices (I like a lot of cinnamon & nutmet, ground ginger, and a teeeeeny bit of clove), and sweetener of choice. whisk together or (even better, texture-wise) blend in a mini blender so the milk gets frothy. pour into coffee and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even when I was on WW, I never counted coffee points. Is that bad? I just couldn't give it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, spill. Who is this friend with all the good tips? No fair keeping her all to yourself, lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must meet her if you haven't already-- we'll work on it :)

      Delete
  4. Oh! You should make a bunch of it ahead of time (minus the milk, duh) and then it's all ready for you when you wake up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a positively fabulous idea- thank you!

      Delete
  5. "local grocer"- Why did that make me laugh out loud? 'Cause it's supah funny, that's why! Love this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ana - this is AWESOME!! As I'm sitting here drinking my 2nd cup of coffee with pumpkin spice creamer, and lying to myself vigorously about the WW points value. Sigh. I'm SO doing this tomorrow. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM.

    I bought 1/2 and 1/2 AND a thing of the bad, sugary stuff the other day -- 1/2 good 1/2 evil over here.


    totally trying this.

    thanks Ana -- and you are 4 seconds out .... weight loss should be the furthest thing from your mind!!!

    Lucy is SO cute. I'm preparing for a little alien .... if history repeats itself a third time.

    ReplyDelete