Tuesday, January 21, 2014

the girl who cried puke (and then did)

I have anally avoided many a play place this winter out of shear terror of letting a stomach bugs enter within the confines of the Hahn house. We only get them around this time of year, and it is always after we venture to an indoor germ sharing play station. I should really just get over it and get used to kids being sick in the winter but I hold on stubbornly to whatever health is present here especially when it comes to any sickness that involves clean up of involuntarily lost fluids.


Last week, however, cabin fever got the best of me and I ventured out to the same cesspool of germs and tubes and slides and fun for the children 2 days in a row and low and behold was I awoken in the middle of the night Friday to sobs of a hurting tummy. The cries were quickly followed by a veritable marathon of vomiting by my oldest that I have never before seen and did not know was possible from a body so small. It was so sad and after a night of nothing being kept down I was right on the verge of hopping in the car with her to head to the ER for some fluids and she finally kept 3 sips of pedialite down and we were all ok.

It was just one of the 24 hour things and when no one else was knocked out by it within another 24, I figured maybe I had just cooked something bad that did not set well with her and maybe, just maybe, this would not be a virus that would make its way through all members of the fam.

Cue 4 a.m. this morn and the mother hen being dragged out of bed yet again to the next in line complaining of the stomach hurting. BUT! Then nothing happened. Bernadette claimed with great sincerity that her "tummy was hurting" but she really seemed fine: there was no puke, no fever, really nothing at all except a girl that just did not want her mother to get any more sleep for the day.

Since I did not want throw up on bed sheets and I did a bang up job keeping all of Naomi's precious bodily fluids in the bucket during her night of upchucking, we played a game of bed roulette going form her bed back to bed with me. But there was no puke and, from the looks of it, only a little girl depriving me of the last few coveted moments of sleep I would get. This did not please me one bit and so I called her bluff: after about 90 minutes of continued exoduses from the confines of her room to tell me she needed a bucket to NOT throw up in I ended up telling her decidedly that she was just not sick. I set her in her bed, removed the unnecessary bucket which was just causing a lot of bucket distraction and banging of the bucket off her bed post and the wall, told her to just be quiet and let me sleep!!! in my most stern voice and walked out.

I'll take "Terrible Mothers" for 400, Alex.

Not 5 minutes later did I hear the genuine and all too familiar puky noises from her bed and I did my fastest mom jolt down the hall just in time to see it go, where? all over the sheets. Well at least she wasn't faking. Not at all. Mercifully though it did not hit her even a small fraction of how hard it hit Naomi and she is already on the mend with only a slight fever and soaking up the perks of her sick day with copious movie watching and being massively babied both because she is sick and because of my mother-guilt for kind of calling her a liar this morning.


Now we wait and place bets on who is going down next. I put money on me since I was the one touching Bernadette's throw up in the dark this morning then putting it up to my face to smell it and make sure that it was indeed throw up (indeed!). I am sure I will keep all the blog world abreast of all the throw up, until then have a splendid, vomit free, Tuesday!

13 comments :

  1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who tries to avoid those places because of the germs! All my friends look at me likeI'm crazy...but I just don't like getting sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are done with the vomit!!! Cleaning vomit in the middle of the night is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I thought it was just my weakling, newbie mom-self who was terrified of stomach bugs. I hope it's done making the rounds in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, so sorry. Midnight stomach bugs are my worst fear! E had one thus far in his life and it was during the day. Hoping no one else gets it in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh! Just had it; hope you all recover soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm way, way too familiar with vomit. (And I write about it too, too much.) It's my boys' thing. We've got colds right now, which have caused seven vomit incidents in the past few days. That said, MY SYMPATHIES regarding the stomach bug thing. My boys may throw up all the time, but at least it's not the sustained kind of vomiting that comes with a stomach bug. Shudder. I hope nobody else at your home gets it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol. Sorry. You just make it all sound so funny, when I'm sure, in real life, it was not. Crossing my fingers & knocking on wood. We are still immune over here to nearly everything...so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that the rest of you don't get it! Stomach bugs are the stuff of nightmares to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are not alone! Winter hits us most every year with more germies than any other season. We too avoid extra germs and people if possible just in in effort to keep this mama from having to deal with puke. Seriously, not my finer moments when dealing with kids throwing up. Our two littlest girls were hit a couple weeks ago, five days apart. The two yr old lasted half a day and the one year old, literally and hr and a half and she was back up and around running. As a mom, I always hold my breathe and PRAY that the next one doesn't drop. ICK.

    Hope you and the rest of the family stay nice and healthy. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yuck. Not fun. I hope you stay well - glad to hear I'm not the only mom who turns into a hermit this time of year - anything to cut down on the sick days lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh - vomit in the sheets is the WORST! I have called my children's bluff many a time before in the interest of sleep and mostly it has worked in my favor. I say mostly, because, well, not always. And the not always is always the worst.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here's a mommy tip (not that you asked) but get a prescription for an anti-nausea med that you can give your kids when they are puking and can't keep fluids down. Saves a trip to the ER. Good luck keeping it contained, I just try and tell myself that I already have the antibodies for it, you know, mind over matter :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We don't call it Chuck E. Disease for nothing. Winter months at indoor play places are guaranteed to make someone ill. I'm sorry your kids have the overnight pukes. Those are miserable for everyone.
    I did laugh, though, when you said you had to sniff the sheets to make sure it was vomit. That is such a ridiculous thing to do, yet we all do it. Why do we all do it????

    ReplyDelete