These are just non-essentials, a few fun gift ideas for a new mom-to-be.
1) A Pregnancy Journal. My mom bought me this when when I was pregnant with Naomi and I wrote in it at least every week. It has a little description of what is going on each day with your baby's development and little spaces to track how you're feeling and other fun pregnancy facts along the way. I still bust it out a lot to compare weight gain at various points and to see what baby is doing in there around a certain time. It is a great little resource and was one of my favorite gifts with Naomi.
2) Baby Books. I read Baby Wise(don't throw the first stone. I ended up chucking it to the back of my closet in a sleepless fit of rage when it didn't just work for Naomi like they said it would), Husband-Coached Childbirth(and proceeded to use roughly none of the techniques during Naomi's birth but rather screamed and was asked to shut up multiple times but nurses), The Baby Whisperer(and laughed A LOT), and several others. I definitely read too may books while pregnant, and while tons of people told me not to read anything, but again, I was not going to listen to them. I really do feel like each book provided its own beneficial information that really helped me out later, especially when it came to any nursing difficulties I was to face. As long as a new mom doesn't take everything in the book as gospel, and gleans what is helpful for her from it, it is not a waste in my opinion.
3) Belly Buds. When I was not working (other than some light nannying) while pregnant with Naomi, I had copious amounts of time to sit on the couch and play classical music to her via awkwardly placed headphones on my belly. Who knows if this did anything, but it was super fun and she would often move around a lot while I did it. I saw this product during one of mine and Mike's obsessive Shark Tank viewings and thought it looked amazing and when they offered to let me try out a pair to tell you about it, I jumped on that quick. The little "buds" adhere to your tummy so you can move around with them on and your ipod in your pocket. I really like them and while I am sure I will not use them as much as I would have while pregnant with Naomi, just due to being 1000 times busier, but they would be the perfect non-essential fun gift for a first time mamma.
4) Cute Bedding. Everyone said this was a useless purchase when I was pregnant the first time. Did I listen? No! I never would have. This was one of the funnest things to shop for and in the end, I still use most of the bedding that I purchased with Naomi. My sister stands firmly by Pottery Barn's quality, and if I had the cash flow to jump all over this one right now I would, because it would be fun.
5) Wipes Warmer. I know, I know. Everyone says these are not worth it, but with baby #1, I loved it. I think we gave it away by the time Lucy came, but we definitely used it for Bernadette as well and there is something really great about not wiping your baby's bum with a cold wipe in the middle of the night. There was definitely less crying during diaper changes with the wipes warmer in those early newborn days than without it. Even if you put it in storage after your first and never look at it again, it is a nice non-essential item to have when your fist little baby is as tiny as he/she will ever be.
So that's that. I am sure some serious eyes will roll at this list, but I am really not insisting that anyone needs these items, they are just for the fun of it.
How about you? Favorite fun baby non-essentials, and.... Go!