Thursday, May 22, 2014

Six Summer Pregnancy Picks

When I was pregnant with Naomi I talked and talked about how nice it was to be pregnant during the fall and winter because even though it was so cold outside I was still SO HOT all the time! I feel pretty sure I even made some stupid comment about timing pregnancies to make sure I was never super pregnant in the summer.


Ha! Here we are, 3 pregnancies later, and I am starting to get used to being 40 pounds over weight by August. I am on a mission to find what I can to help keep my large body as cool and comfortable as possible during these months. It goes without saying that these are favorites in my opinion, you need not agree or like, I take no offense. Without further rambling, and because you asked (you didn't, I know) here are my summer pregnancy picks, so far:


1) Old Navy's Linen shorts. These bad boys have been a fortuitous find so far for the hot, humid days where the last thing I want is anything at all touching my skin. They are airy and light and the best part (drum roll) no belly panel!! I am so over the full panel this pregnancy and I love how these just roll over the belly- so comf. They do not jive with any stringent modesty standards because in my opinion modest is not hottest, Ana pregnant in the summer is, and so we flex on modesty here.

2) Oh Baby Black French Terri shorts. More shorts. I know. I can't handle pants in humid weather, just can't. Last pregnancy saw me wearing a whole lotta Jorts, which I feel like maybe has resulted in some sort of PTSD with regards to the denim material above the knee. I love these too because, again, there is no panel and they just rest so comfortably below the belly, no super tight "demi panel", whatever that means.

3) Maxis to the max. I really heart the maxi while pregnant, there just isn't much else that feels so close to wearing pajamas without actually donning pjs or sweats during the day. That level of comfort + socially acceptable = can't live without it. I stick with Old Navy's, maternity or non-maternity, both work for me and are both equally comfortable and cute.

4) Bump Start Tees . I discovered these puppies a couple of weeks ago and went back quickly after my first purchase to buy more. They are delightful and they come in a 2 pack which for some reason really makes me feel like I am getting a great deal. I was really opposed to shirts with the side bunching business after Lucy's pregnancy because I felt like it just made me look even bigger but these have just the right amount to give your belly extra space without looking frumpy. Also, they are a really nice fabric that seems to keep the sweat to a minimum but isn't so thin that you need to layer it with a tank, because seriously, the thought of extra clothing layers makes me start to hyperventilate in 80 degree + weather with 75% humidity.

5) I feel so super awkward for posting about this, so I will say the name in a computer whisper: Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel . That was horrific. But seriously, this stuff is incredible. A wonderful friend whose done her fair share of dead summer pregnancies clued me in on its wonderfulness, because what are friends for if not for helping one another avoid chafing issues? Even if you only gain 20 pounds your entire pregnancy (hahaha, me? nevah!!) you are bound to have some areas rubbing against others that just aren't used to that kind of friction. That combined with heat and sweatiness and well, you really need to experience it yourself to know just how desperate you can get for this product. It is a life saver for me.

6)Conair Firm Hold Bobby Pins During my other 2 summer time pregnancies I made some unfortunate hair cutting decisions which were a result of the heat and the hair and the heat and the hair. I would just get desperate and chop it, but not this time. I am committed to continuing to grow the locks through the duration of this baby's gestation, which is why I am in love with these bobby pins which are a perfect pair with super thick hair, which I do happen to have. They hold it up and they hold it tight, they are great.

I've already talked up my favorite sun dress, so I will stop here. I will not be surprised if there are a handful more of these posts because I will not stop searching and I am always up for sharing. Please share with a desperate, hot mother, will you?

12 comments :

  1. The maxi skirt 4-evah! I lived in mine for the last month and a half before Veronica was evicted. It's all the comfort of pajamas in public without people thinking you've given up on life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama Bee Leg & Foot cream by Burt's Bees. May seem a bit much for a tube of lotion, but trust me when I tell you it made a huge difference for me last summer. And we even moved and painted our whole house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will eat up these posts and any additional survival tips because I, too, seem to be optimizing pregnancies + hot summer weather. Anna was born 9/3 and although this one isn't due until 10/1, Anna was 9 lbs 13 oz, so I imagine I'll be plenty big enough to thoroughly appreciate August. At the moment, I am totally blanking on any survival tips to share (or really on remembering how I survived)....other than calling every Catholic church in the surrounding vicinity to find out who has air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter was born at the end of August last year- and I live in South Carolina. Gap shorts- I signed up for emails, patiently waited for sales and wore the heck out of the 2 pair I got. Birkenstock Mayari. I think these might have been the only shoes I wore all summer. Seriously. Too hot here for real shoes and I needed more support with my swollen feet- they were the best. ThredUp also started selling maternity stuff, if you're like me and have issues with paying lots of money to wear for a little bit of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for graciously not linking said friend to aforementioned embarrassing yet fabulous product. Note: it is also an awesome primer for melty summer makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you computer whispered that because HELLO how awk. Can't wait to try it and amen on the non-modesty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! Thank you for this! My first three babies were all winter born, and now Im due with #4 in September, and am already dreading summer! Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in love with my Bump Start tees - I bought 4 at the beginning of my pregnancy and they have held up super well to washing once a week basically and they are much cooler than anything else I have! I'm 40 weeks today and in NE we've been having 90° days already, and I'm still in love with them - pretty sure I'll be buying only these in future pregnancies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I would have known about the *hush-hush* #5 when I was preggo through 3 blazing summers! I will pass the tip along to my friends who are due in the fall. Other than the heat being a bear, I hope you have a great summer and feel your best all the way through!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh!!! My son was born last September, so I spent last summer living that beached whale life. I was huge. Totally feel your pain. I can't second enough the chafing gel and maternity maxi skirts ie crotchless yoga pants. Never again will I be heavily pregnant over the summer!! (did I just hear God chuckling? No? Must just be me.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catching up on your blog...loved the non-essentials for a new mom post. Very creative and fun! I was pregnant with all three in the summer because I love having fall babies :) Wish I could pull off the maxi skirt and dresses, but I'm too short.

    I was trying to look back on your posts to see if you know the gender of baby #4? Is it a boy? I think I saw that but wasn't sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Body Glide silicon gel is the anti-chafe relief we all need. It goes on like deodorant and lasts all day. Great also for sandal rubbing. I use this all summer. Runner's stores have it, also online.

    ReplyDelete