Wednesday, August 19, 2015

a cure for the epidemic of dry pot roast

What? This isn't an epidemic for you? I am so happy for you. No really, I am and I am sure that your family is happier than mine. I have no idea what I am looking for when I buy a roast, so I generally just pretend to be an expert and choose one really quickly and it is almost always tough and dry, even if I do all the right things in the prep and cooking of the roast.

But it won't stop me from trying, because a pot roast is a great crock pot meal that our whole family loves, and I am bound to get it right one day.

And actually this is not really a cure for a dry roast, because I have no idea how to do that. It is rather a good use of leftover dry pot roast because if a pot roast is dry the first time around, it will be something resembling those packages of freeze dried astronaut food they showed us in grade school at the science museum the second time around, only harder to chew.

It's bad.

And so I give you:

I honestly want to make a dry pot roast again just so I can make this sandwich. Ok, it would be great with moist pot roast leftovers as well.

Let me show you the secret ingredient to this bad boy:
Even if you're not a Horseradish person you will really like these, the kids liked them and they can't stand the smell of Horseradish, let alone the taste.

Ingredients:
1) Loaf of your delicious bread of choice {I chose a round Italian loaf}, sliced into thin slices
2) Left over pot roast
3) Lots of melted butter
and the others:

Are you catching on that the only way to salvage a really dry pot roast is to add as much extra fat and calories as you can? Good, let's keep going.

Step One: Heat a large skillet to 300 degrees

Step two: After heated, butter bottom half of sandwich bread and place buttered side down on heated skillet, then cover the bread with a slices of cheese and let it melt completely while you take care of the next steps

Step Three: Heat your leftovers for about 1 minute and throw them into a food processor

Step Four: Heep 1 to 2 big tablespoons of horseradish sauce on top of the meat in the processor and pulse away until you have a very fine shredded meat and horseradish mixture.

Step Five: Spoon the meat mixture onto the melted cheesy bread slices on the skillet,

Step Six: Slather the bottom of the top slices of bread with mayonnaise and close up your sandwiches, then use a brush to butter the tops of the sandwiches

Finally: Flip and cook until both sides of the panini are a golden to dark brown


Serve with a veggie or salad or don't even feign any semblance of health and eat them solo with a tall glass of wine or a giant beer. That sounds better.

Enjoy and good luck with your pot roasts! (advice welcome!!)


8 comments :

  1. I have the same problem with my roast! I hope someone lets us in on their secret to success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness... using the food processor is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pot roasts aren't amazing, but I do find it helps you sear the outside of the roast in a pan with butter, then roast it. I typically roast mine in the crock pot instead of the oven, so it retains most of the moisture. I also add a good amount of water (enough to cover the bottom of the crock pot) and some worchestire or soy sauce. Buuuut I am so bad with following recipes, so this is just my personal hack. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with this & I'm not chemist, but there is a science behind it. Same thing for pork tenderloins or pork roasts...if you sear them first, it locks in the moisture.

      Delete
  4. My pot roasts aren't amazing, but I do find it helps you sear the outside of the roast in a pan with butter, then roast it. I typically roast mine in the crock pot instead of the oven, so it retains most of the moisture. I also add a good amount of water (enough to cover the bottom of the crock pot) and some worchestire or soy sauce. Buuuut I am so bad with following recipes, so this is just my personal hack. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness... using the food processor is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ana, I made this recently & it was AMAZING & was reminded of your post. I thought I'd share. I did change it up though. Instead of roasting in the oven, I seared it in a hot skillet quickly, then put it in the crock pot with a can of stewed tomatoes & 2 cups chicken (yes chicken, I like it better with beef, go figure) bouillon. Cooked on high 4 hours, it was flavorful & not a bit dried out. the garlic is so yummy.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/10/garlic-lovers-roast-beef.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a good idea! Thank you for sharing. Butter and cheese, why didn't I think of that?

    I make pot roast like once a week because the crock pot is the only way we have a real dinner and the husband offers to chop the veggies. My favorite way (I experiment constantly) has been to buy the already cubed beef (or cube it yourself), put it in between the carrots and potatoes (carrots on bottom, potatoes on top) and sprinkle a decent amount of flour on top. No searing. No stirring. Just season the top and dump in the flour. Then add some water and cook on low!

    ReplyDelete