Wednesday, February 6, 2013

double chocolate chunk cookies

Last recipe post for a while. I promise.
I should also let you know that these cookies are grain, egg, and dairy free. They are NOT sugar free, I am not that evil.

I'll go ahead and fess up that I have been off the cow and out of the grain fields (well almost all grains) for a week now. Absolutely not for any ideological reasons, only to try to make the days a leeeetle less miserable in the stomach arena. I will not go into deets (you are very welcome) but I got pretty desperate a week ago and decided to cut out "trigger foods", which when you google it, grains and dairy are at the top of the list.

Am I feeling any better? Maybe, who knows? It could all be placebo effect. I feel like I have had some better days and then some that are back to miserable. I am committed to giving it 2 weeks and if there is not an earth shattering difference I will consider it not at all worth the time, money or inconvenience. I will surely let you know what I think in a week.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of all the food I have baked thus far with almond flour. If I can find it somewhere on the cheap I will continue to bake with it even if I don't end up giving up grains, that is how good it is.

Upon tasting these cookies Mike enthusiastically said:
"These are among the best cookies you have ever made", and for a cookie with NO flour NO eggs NO dairy at all and coming out of Mike's mouth, I consider that extremely impressive.

I would simply link to the site where I got the recipe and leave it at that, but I did 2 things that I think most likely improved upon the recipe, even though I haven't actually tried it as it is posted. If you do you can let me know how it turns out as I will only ever make them the way I did today.

This food elimination diet was proving beneficial for my postpartum weight loss. Until today.
So here you go (cue food picture with text added):
 ingreeeeds:
  • 2 packed cups blanched almond flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 Tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/4 Tsp. Salt
  • 3 Tbs room temperature margarine (use butter if you want, I am sure that would be better)
  • 1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
  • 2 Tbs dairy free creamer (I used hazelnut by Coffeemate, you can just use milk if you're okay with dairy)
  • 1/2 of a large dark chocolate bar, I used %70, chopped into chunks
  • 2 Tbs cocoa powder
Mix together and bake at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes depending on how hot your oven is, I baked mine closer to 10 and they were perfecto. I do not think they would be any good over baked.

I just mouthed off to my friend the other day about how I would NEVER bake a cookie without flour because it would just "not be worth it!" all opinionated and what not and now I am eating words. And eating these cookies. One after another after another.

You will see no pictures of the girls devouring these because their indiscriminate tongues wouldn't know a truly good cookie if it threw a snow ball a them.

Speaking of snow balls, here a a couple of them in the snow while I baked:
 Happy baking!



8 comments :

  1. Trader Joe's sells almond meal and everything they sell is cheap :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to bookmark these recipes for after Leo is born and. I am forced to return to my limited/no-grain lifestyle! Your picture of the cookies turned out really nicely btw and, of course, the girls look adorable as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly recommend the book "Wheat Belly". Also, you can purchase a grinder and make your own almond flour. You can then by the raw almonds in bulk. I grind my own wheat and other grains (my husband has an issue with gluten). It's really easy and takes very little time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very interested to hear if it makes a difference! I know so many people who swear that going gluten or dairy free has made them feel amazingly better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if you don't go grain-free forever, try baking with coconut flour too!! Yummy and healthy (and I am not totally grain-free either).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to Trader Joe's! Those look pretty delicious... Too bad Lent is fast approaching and I'm trying to eat all our sweets before we can't indulge anymore!

    PS if you can get out of the house, my sister (www.piercedhands.com) is in South Bend speaking at the Knights of Columbus Building at 7 tomorrow night - you should go! Or you should just hang out with her because she's amazing and you and the girls will LOVE her and you two probably know a lot of the same people anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ana, someone may have already suggested this, but your stomach issues may be a result of your "good bacteria," or "gut flora" levels being out of whack. Getting on a good probiotic will help immensely (and it won't hurt you even if they're not out of whack!) Eating lots of high quality yogurt (natural Greek yogurt, for example, as opposed to sugar-rich Yoplait) will also help, as will drinking komboucha (google it. It is certainly an acquired taste, but the health benefits are pretty awesome!)

    I hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going to have to try these! I am in the same boat with having to avoid such things for stomach reasons. . . sad! Here is a secret....King Arthur brand's gluten free brownie mix makes --bar-none-- the BEST brownies (even compared with the regular kind!) I have ever eaten. They're a bit more money, but worth it if you need a treat! I have gotten them at Meijer before. Also, you may consider looking for "LouAna" coconut oil. It's a large can around 5 bucks in the oil/shortening isle (I think also in Meijer and Walmart) and it does not taste coconutty like some because it is pretty refined...It has a similar consistency to butter, but is more natural than margarine if that sort of thing bugs you (but it won't give that buttery taste..sigh!).

    ReplyDelete