Wednesday, October 29, 2014

5 Favorites {read aloud books!}

Joining Jenna, the new Five Favorites hostess with the mostest, for some books we love here at the Hahn house.

These are favorites for 2 reasons:
1) I actually enjoy reading them. There are plenty of books I DO NOT enjoy reading: Fox in Socks, most Curious George stories, Clifford or anything like it, and plenty of others. When I actually laugh and or cry during a children's book, I count it as a win for all parties. Also,
2) I like these books/authors as a nice middle ground between long chapter books without many pictures, like Little House on the Prairie or the Narnia books. I have read a few longer chapter books with Naomi and it was always kind of sad how it excluded Bernadette because she just couldn't sit for that long with no pictures. These are great for both girls, even Lucy will sit through some of them.

Here you go:

1) Beatrix Potter's The World of Peter Rabbit My wonderful Mother-in-law got this set for Lucy and Bernadette for their birthdays recently and we have been loving it- ALL of us! I actually laugh during them and love her little plots and how they unfold. The character names and the language make the reading so much more interesting, and it is even more delightful if you read them in an English accent- try it, you will love it.

2) Anatole books I had never heard of these, but Mike must have read them as a kid because he got us the first one and the girls loved it so much that we've been stocking up on others in the set too. The main character in all the books is a mouse who feels bad for stealing food from peoples' homes so he gets a legit job at a cheese factory to make a living for his family- marriage and family, upright living, plus you can read these in a French accent since he is a little French mouse living in Paris- very fun.

3) The Clown of God I LOVE this book, but I can't read it too much because I literally cannot not cry. Such a beautiful story, if you have never read it to your kids I highly recommend it. That's all.

4) Virginia Lee Burton books I love how old-timey these are, I realize how stupid I sound saying that, but it is true. They are classic, the illustrations are great, all the stories are super sweet and for some reason the The Little House makes me cry almost every time. But then I'm a crier.

5) Robert McCloskey books I love Blueberries for Sal and One Morning in Maine the best, but Make Way for Ducklings is great too. We have the set I linked too and some of the longer ones are really fun too.

So there you have it, my children will benefit from this post because now I feel especially motivated to read, read, read tomorrow. Have a lovely Wednesday night! 

13 comments :

  1. The only ones we haven't read yet are the Anatole ones- otherwise I agree, these are great books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot agree more about Clown of God. Pretty much everything by Tommy DePaola is great, but this book gets me every time. I can barely croak my way through the tears in the last few pages. Have you read his Strega Nona books? So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henry's favorite book right now is Fox in Socks. It's awful.

    But I am actually getting pretty good at it. Except for the whole "Ben bends Bim's broom. Bim bends Ben's broom." part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the list! I'm adding these to Christmas gifts for the kiddos :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently started reading Peter Rabbit to Michael and I just love it. I'm ok with Curious George books, hate Dr. Seuss (well, Hop on Pop is good, the rest are just so dang long), and love pretty much everything Margaret Wise Brown writes. We need to branch out on books though so I'm adding all of these to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For children's books we love anything by Cynthia Rylant (especially the Henry and Mudge series) and anything by Kevin Henkes (especially Chrysanthemum, Lily's Purple Plastic Purse and Owen).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and my all-time favorite "boy" book (for when Joseph is older) - Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. I believe we're on copy number 3 in my house since it gets worn and read A LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing Ana!! I'm starting, okay, I AM so sick of rereading the girls books that new ones are in order so this post is going to straight to Grandma's inbox! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great list! I am right there with you on crying at The Little House. It gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww yes to Little House and The Clown of God. Those stories choke me up. But our favorite is Peter Rabbit. Thanks for sharing the Anatole books, I will have to check those out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing! I love adding books to my library list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your timing is perfect because I am getting so tired of reading the same books to my son. However, he is a little bit little for a real story, but *I* need some stories with better story lines. Am I the only one who is not a huge fan of Sandra Boynton? Book snob, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete