Tuesday, July 28, 2015

waving my white {or red} flag

The witching hour. We all know it, we all hate it, some days we can handle it and some days it just gets the better of us, or more aptly put, it kicks our A*Ses

That was today.

It could be the swim lessons that have me pulling my hair out trying to get to on time each morning. It could be the exhausting decision I made to take them to a mini-water park after swim lessons (super fun, but super exhausting). It could be the 37 screaming fits that each kid has had respectively. It could Joseph knocking over the box fan-- which is attempting to cool our non-central air equipped home on this 90 degree day-- for the 57th time, or unplugging it for 100th time. It could be having them all under one roof all day long during these summer days. Oh wait, that is every day of the year, all the time.

It could be any or all of these things, but as soon as I conjured up something resembling a taco Tuesday dinner (see above picture proof) to be inhaled at the 6 o'clock dinner hour I threw up my white flag-- although in this case it was my red flag-- as in my glass of red wine and plopped the minions on the couch for a healthy dose of daily vegetables.

I have admitted my tendency to turn on the television at certain important hours of the day, but I failed to highlight then how utterly vital TV is during the 4:30-5:30 p.m. hour which is almost always characterized by incessant whines for food, drink, and as many fights of toys as you can imagine happening in a short 60 minute window.

So I was thrilled when I discovered this afternoon the selection of Veggie Tales movies that Netflix boasts and let the girls take their pick.

I was even more thrilled when they picked Celery Night Fever, because it was a whole 52 MINUTES long. 52 gloriously quiet minutes.

All except for the irrational meltdown during the first 5 minutes of the film over someone breaking someone else's necklace "ON PURPOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

But I threw some water on that flame in the form of taking away "desert" (1/2 pack of smarties) and now we're back to happiness and talking veggies.

In short, if you are in need of a witching hour break, Netflix has you seriously covered for at least 1 week's worth of wholesome, even legitimately funny *sometimes*, child entertainment that is sure to be a welcome  break for all parties.



Get at it!

5 comments :

  1. Witching hour for me is post-nap to when Sean walks in. That's like an hour and a half ...or I guess I should say like 3 magic school bus episodes. :) give me all the beer (new babe doesn't like wine-breastmilk. Crying face emoji)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just discovered these and the Veggie Tales tv shows they have on Netflix. Best day ever! Plus, my husband discovered you can turn on Spanish audio (+ English subtitles, if you want) so it's even more educational! Win win win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally feel you on the witching hour(s). My 2 yr old just recently started liking to watch TV - the quality of my life has improved dramatically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been calling it the witching hour for years. It doesn't get much better when they are older. I completely agree in calling for reinforcements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Recently had a visit with our pediatrician for a well-child checkup. "No more than half an hour a day," was the stern "advice." I have three kids 5 and under...half an hour buys me time to wash dishes, make and then forget about a cup of coffee, and sneak off to the bathroom by myself (though likely accompanied by the now 2 year old, who doesn't care about TV). Sometimes Mom needs a nap, yo. Bring on the Little Bear, Curious George, Max and Ruby, etc.

    ReplyDelete