Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Freddie's Best Day Ever

8 days after little Freddie exited the womb, he entered the Catholic Church, Keeping th
ings ultra-exiting for us and him.

While this is the earliest we've ever done a baptism, in my opinion it couldn't have happened soon enough. I never thought I'd be the type to want to baptize my children so early, but ever since we started having babies, as soon as they come out I just feel this urgency to get the baby baptized! It might have something to do with the fact that I married a Thomas Aquinas-loving theologian. Might.

The day was really beautiful from the start. We went for what might end up being our last ever nursing home visit. We've been going every Saturday for about 2 years, baring big schedule conflicts or sickness, and it is really sad and strange to be saying goodbye knowing that we will likely never see these friends again, not on earth at least.


This was their first time meeting baby Freddie and it's safe to say that this group of elderly folks does not discriminate in their love for and joy at brand new life.

We're so grateful for the time we've had with these wonderful people and that we got to introduce them to Fred the day he was baptized,

We had approximately 1 hour from the time we got home from the nursing home to when we needed to be at the church and I'd call it a baptismal-day-miracle that we succeeded. This was our first ever Saturday baptism and while it was nice to not have to wrangle kids through Mass AND a sacrament, it was rough having the same preparation 2 days in a row between the baptism and Sunday Mass. You win some you lose some.

My little sis and Mike's little bro came in to be the godparentals and even though he was already planning on coming back to the states, it sounds super cool to say that Fred's godfather came all the way from Russia!


And look at that godmother pride! Get at that ear-itch, Ana.

My parents also made the trip in, even my mother who had already been in town the week prior to help me maintain sanity immediately following Freddie's birth. She's a saint, that Karen.



I forgot to count how many children were present but they took up all the chairs in the baptistry an were amazingly well behaved.

Thanks to Katrina (who also snapped some of the pictures here, best friend ever!) we were able to have the after party indoors instead of outside in the 90 dregree heat. We kept it small and simple and it was perfect.

It didn't feel that overwhelming doing the baptism this early, which I am chalking up to the fact that I still had all those good-feeling hormones circulating and was still in the baby-moon phase of postpartumdom. I just went ahead and embrased the postpartum bump and the fact that I would absolutely be wearing a maternity dress to the baptism, and rejoiced in the fact that I still had help around so that I oculd lay down and rest in the afternoon after the festivities. 

We have had 4 out of our 5 babies baptized at this parish and it leaves me a bit of a weepy wreck to think that this was our last, so I'll just go ahead and wrap up here. All in all, it was a really beautiful day.

6 comments :

  1. My 10 month old is my first baby to be born since I returned to the church, and I got her baptized at 9 days :) why wait? Be a Catholic! Welcome, Fred!

    I love love that dress. Where's it from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a beautiful, blessed day for all, Ana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it was a wonderful day! Welcome to the Church, little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely! What a beautiful celebration of the day! Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look amazing! Welcome to the Church, little one!

    ReplyDelete