Monday, November 21, 2011

Sabbath Bread

If I were not married to the most incredible stud of man ever, I think I would be married to my bread machine (or Aldi's- if you could marry appliances or grocery chains) but since I am already married I just settle for using my bread machine ALL the time. I absolutely love it and if there's one thing that we registered for at our wedding that I would recommend to every bride-to-be to register for it is one of these:
It will change your life, or your money back.

I used to make these little sweeties on Sunday and my husband's first reaction was "did you make these from scratch?" We could have been on a super cheesy infomercial for real.


You seriously do not have to do anything but put a hair of forethought into the making process since  a loaf of bread take about 3 hours- so if dinner's a t 6 you need to be thinking about it at 3- I am often not thinking about dinner until 5:55. in the ingredients and people think that you are some sort of domestic goddess when they taste the finished product. Ok with dinner rolls you do have to form them into balls and put them on a pan to let them rise a bit more in their shape, but that is IT. it is the best way to fake being a good cook that I have come up with in my 3 years of marriage.

Anyways, This is not actually a post about bread machines or bread machine recipes, but rather a post for a recipe for some bread sans bread machine.
It is not yeast bread but it comes out tasting as good as home made yeast bread from scratch made by hand or by a bread machine. 
I use especially when I have not put enough forethought into my cooking and don't get the ingredient's into the bread maker in time, so in other words on lots of days. 
I keep on losing the recipe even thought I have written down twice on a recipe card and so it is currently written in dry erase marker on a board that Naomi likes to color on. So before I lose it again and am left with a breadless dinner (God forbid!) Here is a recipe for "Sabbath Bread" (I have no idea why this is its name, but it will make you feel holy just eating it):

2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 cups wine (and several cups for the mom making it)
3 tbsp oil

Mix together and bake @ 350 for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. 

 
Holy baking,
Ana

No comments :

Post a Comment