Thursday, March 29, 2012

Granola, dummy

Since the new growth of the new baby resulting in newausea, I have ceased all gratuitous baking, crafting, hobbying of any kind. However, while out with a friend (a rare occasion) the other day I was given a fantastic sounding recipe for some homemade granola. This was really timely since even though I make almost nothing by way of food these days, I EAT almost everything by way of food these days. I also get terribly anxious when food starts to become scarce, so I thought I would add to our supply now to decrease potential anxiety.

So this afternoon I summoned any traces of homemaking left in my inhabited body and put all the delicious ingredients together and baked away. It was all going well...

And then I baked it on the bottom rack of the oven, like the really low bottom rack right next to the hot wires. Then I forgot to check on it for a little bit and it would have been great but now it's bad.

I got what I deserved. Now instead of enjoying some seriously delish granola I am gagging down charred nuts and coconut. This is at least making me think that maybe I could stomach the gross looking Chia that every-one-in the world is raving about... we'll see.

But for those of you who are not dummies and will not waste a perfectly good batch of granola by baking on the bottom rack, here is the recipe:

3 cups oats
1/2 cup crushed nuts (I used walnuts, do what suits you)
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 craisins or raisins or any delicious dried fruit
1/4 cup flax seeds

1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup*
1/3 oil (veg, canola, coconut, whatev)

Mix it all together and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes stirring every 5-10 minutes until crispy.
*I didn't have maple syrup so I used 1/2 cup honey and some maple extract.

1 comment :

  1. Hi! I MADE granola yesterday too...and it's only like the second time in my life I've ever done that so I HAVE to say something.

    So

    Hello!

    Sorry about how baby's got you all sick. I've only got one (10mo), but for some reason I didn't think I would get sick while pregnant...and then I did and it was the worst 4 months ever and now my heart hurts whenever I come across someone ailing in their first tri.

    ReplyDelete