Tuesday, March 5, 2013

It snows and I sew

Or something like that.
The last time I decided to revamp an old maternity clothing item into something wearable it was snowing, so I am sort of establishing a pattern. Or not.

Since today is the last day of the Cabin Fever link-up, I thought it would be good to sew something in its memory.  Also, I had an idea in my head to turn an old, thrifted motherhood maternity dress into a skirt that I could wear now and told the kids to try to stop me, I was on a mission.

Here's the victim of my shears:
It really doesn't get more awkward than this, I don't think: the dress itself, the fact that I am photographing myself in the bathroom, in front of the shower, the way I am standing, the look on my face, etc. But I found the awkwardness of the photo fitting since it is- or was- the most weird fitting, unflattering dress in all dressdom.

So I wanted to make a skirt out of it while keeping the band right under the bust because there is a tie in the back that I thought would be nice to have for my ever growing, then shrinking, then growing, then shrinking again figure.

First I laid the dress out and hacked off the top, but left some extra fabric to fold over and sew onto the little seam on the inside:
1- the little seam 2- the sad remains
Actually first I had to thread the bobbin, and my hand was attacked by a vicious, albeit super cute, teething baby:

Once I pried my hand from her amazingly strong jaws, I folded the fabric down and sewed it to the seam:
and was able to keep the tie in the back:

Then I cut off a little of the length so as to be able to wear it with my fav boots, but then ended up liking it better with the shorties. Ok, I did not love it with either, or really at all, but it is an improvement on the sorry excuse for a dress.
And shazam:
With lots of text and explanation, in case you are drunk in the middle of the day


And I went against my instincts and took a picture with the turtle neck tucked so you can see the little band, although you can't actually see the tie in the back, but I think you'll live.


Ok, you can't even see the band. Also, I realize that the steps I laid out don't really make any sense, and neither do the pictures, but I tried-- this is why I never try to do tutorials.
That's all I have for you today.

I will be announcing the winner of the Valentine's Day Cabin Fever Creativity Link-up and Giveaway tomorrow, stay tuned!!


10 comments :

  1. This is awesome! Great color.

    Also, you made me laugh! I needed that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That color is really pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Love the short boots, tights, whole ensemble. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definite improvement, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it! Especially with the brown boots, love when brown and black are mixed successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!! I wish I could sew. Looks great with both sets of boots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job on this. I love your resourcefulness. You look great.

    Also, I'm hanging my head in shame that I never managed to finish my project for the link-up. I feel like I owe you an excuse note!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out so cute! You are amazing. and brave. I'm always too scared to cut stuff up.

    ReplyDelete