Friday, September 20, 2013
7 Quick Takes
1) I am sorry if I threw off the delicate balance of "how much complaining a complaining-centered blog like mine should contain" with yesterday's post. It was definitely one of those blog posts where I hit "publish" and immediately kept re-thinking it or regretting being so whiny. Plus, I failed to give Naomi the credit she deserves because she has been having a bunch of middle of the night waking throwing a mid-sleep tantrum and is obviously going through some sort of weird developmental thing which I am sure she'll come out of soon enough. Don't get me wrong, it was a day from h-e-double-toothpicks, but as always, I am sure I could have tempered my own mini e-tantrum about her tantrums. I will always exercise my God-given blog right to complain over the internet, but again, there is a balance and I think perhaps 2 tantrum posts in a week might have been a bit much. Perhaps.
2) Also, just so no readers are confused, even though I did not give any attention to what we do for discipline with the girls, there are indeed consequences to their shenanigans. I would just never ever want this blog to become any sort of forum for discussing different discipline methods, never. So fear not, we do not let them walk all over us, one way or another, this way or that, there are repercussions.
3) I almost gave attention yesterday to the most monumental thing of all right now but I didn't want to jinx myself, and then last night it happened again so I will just say it: Lucy has had 4 nights in a row of sleeping all the way through the night thanks to my favorite sleep training method of all: "turn the monitor off and stop being an overly paranoid, coddling mother when your baby is one room over". \
Or as Grace called it "cutting the umbilical chord", and it only took 1 year! It's been wonderful, completely wonderful.
4) Another wonderful thing is this video that my friend sent to me yesterday:
I think I missed my life's calling.
5) When I on occasion chance to toss the girls into the bathtub for a good scrub down, I find myself with all sorts of wonderful possibilities with regards to Bernadette's crazy curly hair. I can actually brush through it and do things with it that I would not be able to do when it is dry and knotted. My favorite by far is two Laura Ingalls-esque braids.
Today she even insisted on wearing the most Little House-ish dress that she owns (which I realize is nothing like what they would have worn, but still) it was kind of perfect. Only I don't the the Ingalls girls wore sparkly head bands, I could be wrong though.
6) We took advantage of the nice cool weather last weekend to do a fall craft of painting mini-pumpkins. I prefer it to carving a large pumpkin and I think the girls do too since they actually get to do something, instead of just sitting there watching me hack at the pumpkin with the knife that is too sharp for them to even look at let alone touch.
7) I wrote an entire 7 takes earlier this morning and my wonderful ASUS track pad accidentally highlighted, deleted, and then closed the window in a matter of seconds before I could save anything or undo the deletion. Mike has since fixed the the problem so that will never happen again, and just in time because I was about to give this machine up for computer adoption. But I am just going to be done now.