Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Five Favorites: Fall, Food, and Family


It is coming!!
While I realize that I will be scarfing my words down about as intensely as I just inhaled my afternoon bowl of rice chex come winter in South Bend when everyone has forgotten what that thing people refer to as the "sun" is, I don't care. I am so excited to be beyond this heat. And to wear my cute new fall booties I got at TJ Max yesterday, but that is besides the point. Just to be able to send the kids outside without having them come back in soaked in little pools of stinky little girl sweat will be really, really nice.
 ---

And obviously the Coffee-mate company knows that fall is around the corner, because wonder of wonders miracle of miracles it is here: PUMPKIN SPICE CREAMER!!!! I have been looking in the creamer section every time I go to the store and my little heart was not going to be able to handle much more disappointment and thanks be to the coffee creamer gods it will not have to for many, many more months. It was especially timely as Lucy has come down with some virus that comes with a fever keeping her up all night and I would be lying if I said that this wasn't the first thing I thought about when I woke up this morning. So I won't say anything. I lerve it.

 ---

Staying on the pumpkin train, I came up with this delicious breakfast concoction 2 mornings ago and it is pairing up with my favorite creamer to make my mornings not only even more tolerable, but enjoyable. When I say I "can up with it" that just means I didn't google it, I thunk it up all by myself, though I am sure I am not the first person to think it up.

Here's the recipe:
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 scoop Designer Whey French Vanilla Protein Powder (or any powder, though I do recommend using vanilla flavored)
1 frozen banana
A few sprinkles each of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.
1/2 cup skim milk or milk of your choosing

Throw in blender or food processor and go to town. It is so so good.

 ---

I made a roast the other day and had a boat load of leftover beef to use up and what I usually do is make beef enchiladas, but since the weather has been so scorching and we do not have central air conditioning, I can't use my oven (another reason I am so eager for fall days and baking my heart out). Anyways, I decided to get crazy and try my hand at beef flautas and honestly, if they weren't so soaked in oil, I would only ever make them in the future because they were so good. However, since they are not so good for us, that may have been my lone flautas making adventure. Still, it was definitely a favorite.

 ---


And lastly, my little sister has been adding tons of pictures from her wedding and this one of my entire family: parents, siblings, siblings' spouses and all the nieces and nephews and it just makes me real happy. Love these people.

Hit up Grace at Camp Patton for more favorites!

12 comments :

  1. Beautiful family photo!! And I love the pumpkin smoothie recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What- pumpkin spice creamer?! I've been searching high and low for it but have yet to see any in our stores.
    And what a great fam photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin! That picture is amazing. All those kids and babies and no one having an obvious meltdown. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great photo! I have one sister, unmarried. A family photo of all of us is mostly my family - husband + 3.7 (32 weeks!) kids take up the whole thing. As overwhelming as it can be, I hope my kids get this kind of photo someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Family photos make me so happy too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your family photo so much! Reminds me of my dad's side of the family at every wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been getting some fall weather too, it's lovely! Glad you guys have cooler weather too, it really does make such a difference to send the kids outside in the afternoon!

    And I love that family photo, you're very blessed! When we do family photos with my husband's family (two parents, one single sister) we dominate the photo with ourselves + our three kids which always feels silly, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ana, I just read a recipe from a Gwyneth Paltrow cookbook that involves sweet potatoes in the pumpkin pie protein shake (who would've thought?) - just another option for your pumpkin pie shake adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristen! I will definitely have to check that out, sounds so interesting!

      Delete
  9. mm I too have been enjoying my morning coffee just a little more (if that's even possible) thanks to pumpkin spice creamer! That shake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete