Friday, May 30, 2014

7 Quick Takes (and one hot mess!)

Linking up with Blythe because well- the first 4- and Jen because IT'S FRIDAY!!

1) Here is a screen shot of the working list for my quick takes, just so that I wouldn't forget what I wanted to inform the masses about:

So you know these are going to be good.

2) This week we decided to take the plunge and start moving Lucy into the room with the older girls. We don't let her go to bed with them, since they normally act like patients straight from a mental institution at bed time (not kidding even a little), but we move her in before we go to bed. The result? THREE inmates from the mental institution at 6 a.m.. I know many of you dream of a day when all your kids sleep until 6, and I too used to salivate at that thought, but they've been sleeping until 7, and when a pregnant lady is used to the chillins not resurrecting from their chambers for the day until 7, she needs it to be consistent. Because she's pregnant. And a little bit crazy.

3) Stupid pregnancy. Ok, it's not stupid, it's great, but this week I have been a little caught off guard by crazy leg pain and weird horrible back pain, and the combo is rendering me feeling a little bit like the mom from What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Because, you know, there's been a lot of weight gain as well. We're thinking of getting a lift for the stairs. I gave myself full permission to parent from the couch (or beach chair) today and ti seems to be helping a lot. Also, parenting from the couch is awesome. My check list for the day went something like:

-get kids fed
-sit on the couch and let them climb on me
-fill up baby pool
-sit on beach chair and sun myself while they splash
-repeat.

I need to do this more often. I even painted my nails! It's a veritable day spa over here.

4) Has anyone else had horrible leg pain (it's not a clot, don't worry) that is just dull and throbbing and constant? I looked it up on the webs and found this SUPER helpful list of things to do:
Everything in red is a major exaggeration and actually, I am able to walk, and tylenol did help soooo moving on.

5) My new favorite side dish ever, which I only allow myself to have once a week, is brussel spouts and bacon. Why would anyone ever eat brussel sprouts any other way? Here's how it goes:

  • cook about 6 pieces of bacon, 
  • pour the fat into a baking dish over a bunch of brussel spouts,
  • crumble the cooked bacon over the sprouts
  • bake at 400 for about 40 minutes (or more if you like them well done, which we do)
  • salt and pepper to taste.

Devour with wild furry.

6) Have you read Beth's beautiful and heart wrenching birth story? Her whole experience with baby Rebecca was so beautiful and inspiring, I am so appreciative that she was willing to share it all. Life is such a miracle.

7) Methinks I want these shoes . What think you?

Have a wonderful weekend!!

13 comments :

  1. I had that leg pain too! Kind of like a Charlie Horse? Magnesium supplements took care of it pretty well. Give some to the girls too. My mom would give us calcium-magnesium supplements for sounder sleep. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could your leg pain be sciatica? I had it horribly with my last one. Apparently he loved to stomp right on my sciatic nerve and it would send shooting pains down my leg. Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been following you for the last couple of months since I found you on Jen's website. I am 24 weeks preggers with #3 and have started leg cramps. I discovered while pregnant with #2 that magnesium helps immensely. I take the lowest does I can find (that one was 250mg). Maybe that would help you, too? I can't wait to be done with being pregnant….thanks for sharing; it helps me feel not alone on this pregnancy journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 recs for magnesium supplement and I think I will need to just do it. Congratulations on #3!!

      Delete
  4. I have been there. I popped Tylenol like candy with my first pregnancy, and now they tell us we can't do that either. Oy! For my 4th pregnancy, I went to a chiropractor every two weeks faithfully, and it made a HUGE difference. Once the chiro worked the pain down to a manageable level, I walked and walked and walked and did a whole lot of stretching. Chiropractors can do amazing things if you find a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! My doc still gives the ok for tylenol, although I do freak out a bit about taking too much, so I try to keep it to when I am really desperate. I may get desperate enough to spring for the chiropractor, but until then forcing Mike to do leg messages will have to suffice :)

      Delete
  5. I had pretty bad knee pain with my #3 pregnancy. And I did buy a knee brace. I didn't wear it all the time, but even just wearing it at home gave me comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That brussels sprout recipe sounds soooo delicious! I usually roast them with red pepper flakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Calcium/magnesium (you need both because too much of either depletes the other and it needs to be 2 part calcium to 1 part magnesium) liquid supplement took my leg cramps away completely for the entire pregnancy. The doctor may say you don't need it but you're growing a baby and calcium is fantastic for bone growth, magnesium makes sleeping easier; it's a win+win... and your leg cramps will go away for the rest of your pregnancy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laughed at loud at this incredibly apt description:
    "since they normally act like patients straight from a mental institution at bed time (not kidding even a little)"
    That is EXACTLY how my older girls act at bedtime. I find it causes me to vacillate between warden and fellow asylum inmate and back again at a rapid rate.
    Glad I'm not alone...
    Good luck with the leg pain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a faithful chiro patient while pregnant. Once a month till things get heavy and then every 2-3 weeks. It helps tremendously, especially with the lower back and pelvic pain. And, you know, just general 'my sh$t's falling apart-ness.'

    ReplyDelete
  10. compression stockings can alleviate leg pain and replace it with other mildly uncomfortable sensations- if you want a change of scenery :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's spring cleaning that makes us want to clean the babies out of the bedroom, cuz we just moved Emeric into the girls room too :) And I am ridiculously relieved to see we aren't the only one stuffing 3 smalls into one room. And if it makes you feel any better, we also have discovered the "3 inmates from the mental institution" in the morning effect...usually at 5am for us, but - hey! Not pregnant!! If and when I am again...God better throw in that extra hour of mercy for me too!!! ;)
    (Also..had horrible leg pain too!! Compression stockings helped a lot but I'm taking notes on other things to try here...)

    ReplyDelete