Friday, May 16, 2014

7 Quick Takes

Joining in with Jen and her fellow quick takers because between steam cleaning the kitchen floor and sending useless information into the abyss of the world wide web, I choose the latter a thousand times over.

1) My ohshit-o-meter (you don't have one of those? You should get one) started going off a couple weeks ago with regards to actually needing to do "kindergarten" with Naomi in the fall now that she's a geriatric 5 years-old. I am NOT of the breed of mothers who gets naturally excited about home schooling. It is not in my blood and the thought of actually doing it does nothing but produce nauseous feelings and mini panic attacks, so I was a little stuck as to what to do. Lucky for me, my closest friend here in the Bend has decided to home school next year and we seem to be of the same breed when it comes to the whole thing, so after a few convos with her and one with another lovely lady who is super laid back about it, I feel like maybe, just maybe, I won't die in the next year.

2) Have you ever had the fleeting thought that maybe you are the least fun mother in the entire world and that your children are suffering from your lack of creativity and an absence of all fun, fanciful or exciting craft-like activities in the home? Well I am here to tell you that you are not, I am. For sure.

We own this book:
And I hate it. I hate that it exists and I hate it even more when the girls discover that it does because then my negligence actually comes to light and they no longer live in total, blissful ignorance. Why not just get rid of it? It is happening. Soon. This past week it happened that the girls discovered it and it's heinous contents and since spring and summer apparently already came and went and we fast tracked it to fall here in the land of the worst weather in all the world, I decided to oblige the constant demands from the small parties that we make our own candies.

3) This was obviously partially self-interested because the candy  in the book was homemade peppermint patties and well, who doesn't love peppermint patties?  So "we" made them yesterday and it was insane. I have never gotten so messy in the process of doing anything with the girls before and the whole creation process itself really just devolved into me doing all the work while the girls cut themselves cubes of cheese in the other room and snuck chocolate chips from the kitchen, because KIDS CAN'T MAKE THEIR OWN CANDY. So now I will eat them all as a consolation prize.
I ended up not even using the recipe in the book because it was horrible and used this one instead.

4) Do your kids watch Kipper? My friend's sweet little boy introduced it to us while we watched him last week and now the girls (and maybe me) are a little obsessed. Kipper has the best accent of any cartoon character I have ever heard and maybe I am just a sucker for a good British accent, but there is something refreshing about the fact that he isn't even trying to sound like a  little kid cartoon character. It's like David Brent meets Disney but not crude, it's great.

5) Mike was out of town briefly last weekend and is leaving again for a couple of days next week and I am gearing up for absolute insanity and being in total meltdown mode (me, not the girls). Why? Because I am horrible at dealing with life when he is gone. Really, someone needs to write a book about how to cope and I will buy 100 copies just for myself, because I am horrible at it. I am hoping the blog will at least offer some type of therapeutic relief, you'll find out for yourself soon enough.

6) I am in search of (and by "search" I mean sitting on the couch thinking really hard about) an ideal cute and comfortable pair of summer sandals because my ol' flippity flops hailing from college days have developed holes in the bottoms, I think that's a good sign of needing to be retired. I have gone the route of just cute and gotten some strappy deals from Forever 21 and the grocery store and every time I wear them my feet hate me, they are so not comfy. I need a good meld of strappy cuteness and total comfort. HELP PLEASE!!!

7) Bernadette's latest fun activity has been to make up little ditties, mostly while she is using the bathroom, where she picks a work and sings lots of other words that rhyme with it.

The last 2 words chosen have been:
Witch and Pit, alternating first letters with 'B' and 'Sh' over and over. Who needs Fantastic Rainy Day books when there is clearly some major creative learning going on in this home. We are going places, I tell you.

19 comments :

  1. I don't think I've ever commented on your blog, I guess I'm a blog stalker! But we have a few things in common (one being 4 kiddos the oldest being 5). I had to comment today regarding sandals because after living in flip flops every summer for my whole life I finally bought a pair of real grown up, but super cute and comfy sandals. These babies http://www.clarksusa.com/eng/product/lexi_sumac/26068877
    I paid $50 at Dillard, not sure if you have that store where you live. Anyways, my feet cannot do cheaply shoes so when I do buy real shoes (meaning anything other than a quality flip flop), I have to get a comfortable brand. Not sure if they are your style, but I had to share because they are comfy and cute and mom friendly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saltwater sandals for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I just had a crying anxiety attack myself about homeschooling my 4 yr old who is begging me to read and who wants to know the answer to every question in the book including what we are having for breakfast next Thursday. We are just ambling along.... It does freak the hell out of me though. Zero confidence here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annnnd... I know it will be fine, it is all self-induced perfectionism.... Ahhh!

      Delete
  4. I hated, hated, hated, HATED, doing crafts with my kids when they were little. And I hated playing games as well. Worst mother ever! But my kids, 9 and 11, still love me and they have never once said, "Mom, why didn't we do more crafts when we were younger?"

    Good luck while your husband is gone. Mine travels frequently but now that the kids are older, it's not as bad. I still miss him though, but not as much for help but for the evening company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel you on the hubby being gone! I just dropped off Matt at the airport, gone till Monday, and I'm trying to walk myself down from the mild anxiety attack that is growing.

    And Kipper is the best.cartoon.ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm finishing up 1st grade and remember some phonics math and handwriting is all you need for K and 1st. I bought a ton of other stuff and then baby/toddler boy and high energy girl made me realize the essentials. We use Little Angel Phonics and Math U See. Handwriting I'm still trying to find something I like (we tried HWT and Seton). Mostly I use http://www.handwritingworksheets.com/ to make worksheets for her to practice with her phonics words/sentences and the ipad app Letter School. We used Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading before Little Angel and I liked it too since handwriting wasn't necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reef flip flops are the most comfortable I've ever had...I bought them and threw away my old navy ones on the spot. I'll have to check out Kipper...and by that I mean my girls, while I vacuum. Or eat chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll rival you on the funless home. We read, and Jordan "cooks" with me ("sit on the counter and don't touch anything!!") but that's the extent. :/

    I bought these totally great mossimo grecians at target last summer for $15 and I still love them. They are cute enough to dress up a bit but I mostly wear them to kick around. I couldn't find the exact same but these are similarish:
    http://m.target.com/p/women-s-mossimo-supply-co-lady-sandals/-/A-15010118

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite flip flops have always been from Teva and Reef. They both have some really cute styles and last many moons. It's worth the little bit extra!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The kids LOVE Kipper, and I find it to be the most boring thing EVER. Luckily I use it as a babysitter while I cook, so I don't have to watch it :P But I adore the fact that every time they watch it, John Paul has to pretend to be Kipper and he talks really. really. slowly. And with a fake English accent. And uses all of Kipper's little exclamatory phrases. It pretty much makes me die laughing, it's amazing.

    And that book! I keep being tempted to get John Paul science experiment books and then I remember that he thinks he can do all the things, so he would get WAY too many ideas and end up burning down the house. It's terrifying. So yeah, all those fun and exciting craft books? NO WAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, my favorite way to craft with the kids is to give them a bunch of construction paper, glue, scissors, and then make sure the babies are napping. Makes them happy and fulfills their desire to "craft" since they don't care what the finished product looks like... I also really enjoy watercolor painting with them, except when they ruin my paintings. And then I remember that we're crafting for THEM and not for me... Whoops.

      Delete
  11. OMG you are so hilarious I almost peed my pants...esp towards the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My boys were obsessed with Kipper for awhile. Then my four year old started speaking in a British accent on a regular basis. Hilarious! He still breaks it out on random occasions even though the Kipper phase has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not that your asking, but we have been enjoying using St. Thomas Aquinas Academy for our homeschooling. We are just completing kindergarten (or Pre-1st as they call it). It is a Catholic liberal arts program and provides pretty detailed lesson plans for those of us who are new at this whole thing. http://www.staa-homeschool.com/ Overall I have found that it isn't as difficult as I thought it might be and I enjoy thinking about lesson planning. But then, maybe it is just me. Blessings to you whatever route you decide to take!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crapcrapcrap, I haven't even batted an eye at homeschool for my preschooler and now I'm thinking of how much I dropped the ball. The anxiety sucks. The struggle is real!

    Also- we have no sun north of you in MI either, I don't know why spring/summer wants to hate the Midwest after that awful winter but when you see it soho a little up north!

    And #6, I live in sandals from April to November (even though there's snow everywhere) and broke down and bought a pair of Birkenstocks. They are pricey but were worth it for me, I can walk around the neighborhood in them or wear them on set ups for weddings (I assist a wedding florist and we dress fairly nice when setting up). They are comfortable and I didn't buy the classics but the Mayari in white and love love them!
    http://m.zappos.com/birkenstock-mayari-golden-brown-birko-flor-trade

    ReplyDelete
  15. ah! i'm having homeschooling anxiety about next year as well! and ah! i'm also the worst crafty mom ever. and ah! kipper! we just found that show and they are loving it! annnnnnd KIDS CANT MAKE THEIR OWN CANDY. so true. so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please share if you find a solid pair of cute (comfy!) sandals! After many years working at summer camps, the "close-toe shoe" policy is ingrained in my mind AND body. I just can't stand to wear flip flops or sandals because they don't give support and are very dangerous to those ever-so-important toesies!

    ReplyDelete