Enter baking something that they can grab easily in the morning sans motherly assistance and enter these:
I've made several different types of muffins for them and while the baked goods change, the purpose remains: MORE SLEEP! So far, this is my favorite baked good for the morning time and I personally have to not look at them or else I will eat all of them at once.
I adapted this recipe a bit, making my own fruit concoction instead of using preserves. Here it is for you:
-For the crust and top crumble:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold, unsalted butter, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons cold water
-For the fruit filling:
2 cups of fruit of your choosing, I used blueberries and was very pleased
1/4 (or less) cup sugar
splash of water
Worst ingredient pictoral ever, in case you need it:
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine the crust ingredients in food processor and pulse until a course dough forms.
- Grease an 8x11 pan.
- Pour 2 cups fruit into saucepan over medium-high heat on stove top, mix water and sugar with fruit and bring to a low boil until fruit is soft.
- Divide dough in half, put one half off to the side in a bowl and press the other half into greased pan.
- Pour your fruit mixture into food processor and pulse until there are no more fruit chunks.
- Pour fruit mixture over crust then crumble the rest over top.
- Bake @ 350 for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown on top.
Let them cool completely before eating and store in refrigerator, on a shelf your kids can reach in the morning.