Wednesday, December 17, 2014

the donkey

It's Advent and everybody's talking about Mary, so SO many great thoughts and posts about our Lady, and I love each and every one. As mothers this is such a natural time of year to think about the Blessed Virgin and even attempt to imitate her quiet, meditative spirit in order to prepare our hearts for Christ's coming, but for the most part I fail.

A few months ago Mike and I were sitting at the diner table talking about a paper he is giving at a conference on Mary as a spiritual exemplar for Christians (life as a theologian's wife? yes). The more we talked and the more I thought about it, and it dawned on me that as a mother, I feel more unlike Mary than like her. I rely heavily on her intercession (i.e. repeated Hail Marys during temper tantrums) and I pray constantly that she would help me to be a better mother, and ask her to pray for me and to watch over me, but I never feel like I can relate to Mary and her motherhood. I am going to pin it on the fact that I am positive Jesus never threw temper tantrums like my girls and the fact that Mary was sinless-- those 2 things alone make it hard to identify with her in so many of the daily struggles. I wasn't quite sure if there was something wrong with that, or if it is something I should try to work on.

After the conversation with Mike, I was struck by a carved wooden statue that we have from my in-laws. It pictures Mary riding on the donkey to Bethlehem, great with child, Joseph leading them with a somewhat fearful look on his face. Here I will just show you:

As I stared at it, it struck me how much more I identify with the donkey in the statue than Mary. I know that sounds ridiculous, but after wondering if it is a problem that I have a hard time relating to our Lady, it brought me a lot of peace and consolation. One of my very favorite saints, Saint Josemaria Escriva, used to talk about striving to be a donkey spiritually. He praised the donkey's hard working spirit and humility and he said that:

"There are hundreds of animals more beautiful, more deft and strong. But it was a donkey Christ chose when he presented himself to the people as king in response to their acclamation"

And it is the donkey who carries our Lord, still in the womb of Mary, to his birthplace. Not a bad job, if you think about it.

The donkey has no false images of himself, he is simply doing what he is being asked to do, humbly and obediently. He is probably really tired and weak, but he does what he has to do. He is serving our Lord in the most practical way, through carrying his mother in this most trying of times and I can only hope to do just that in this life. Shoot, I fail at being like the donkey! 

I think imitation of Our Lady is a beautiful, important thing to strive for in the spiritual life, and I think that God's grace can accomplish that level of holiness. But for me, most days I am all over the place and "imitator of Mary, the Mother of God" would be the last title anyone would ever come close to giving me if they could see my feeble, mucked up attempts to serve the Lord through motherhood.

BUT! "Donkey who serves Our Lord and loves and serves Mary, the Mother of God" is much closer to something I feel like I can aspire to. There is humility and obedience in the task of the hard working donkey, and while I am not even there yet, I can work towards it. I can work towards loving, serving and honoring Our Lady- exemplar of all mothers- as that donkey did who carried her to Bethlehem.

13 comments :

  1. Love this! Thank you, Ana! Miss you- especially at this time of the year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect. I've been thinking about Mary a lot lately as well and feel the same. I can totally relate to the donkey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful insight, Ana. I will remember this when praying to know God's will in my life - remember that even if I never understand the whys, I need only plod on, one hoof in front of the other, to the destination He has chosen. Just like Mary's donkey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preach... So needed to read this! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ana, this was just what I needed to hear! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has been waiting in my feedly for a little while now, and I'm so thankful I took the time to read it this morning. Thanks for the inspiration to keep plodding along!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gee whiz, I can relate to every line of this! I love Our Lady so very much. Ask for her prayers constantly and ponder her life throughout the day too, but relating to her while I feel that motherhood is something I dont shine at lingers. This post is so beautiful. I love the donkey and how he just looks forward with a peace of knowing he is moving forward, completing his task. The one given to him. I know that much. I have peace in knowing I am where I am supposed to be, and keeping my eyes forward, all the while moving along best I can gives me more peace than I could ask for. SOOOOooOOOo glad you are keeping on, keeping on on this beautiful little space of yours on the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Ana! I just stumbled upon your blog today and this is the one message that I needed to hear. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could you please let me know where I can buy another statue as the one you show of Joseph and Mary on a donkey. I do a Christmas Mexican play " Las posadas " for low income families and wanted to buy a real statue instead of just bringing a picture. Will appreciate your advise. God Bless you. My email marycarmenwade@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete