Thursday, April 16, 2015

You can run...

One of the unmitigated and unintentional perks of this homeschooling gig (and I say unintentional, because I would never home school solely for this purpose) is that the girls' contact with the host of various germs, particularly of the stomach bug variety, is much more limited during the dreaded flu season. This past season seemed especially bad for the vomit-for-a-day-or-two type viruses and every time one of our friends got hit I would count my blessings and hole up in the basement so as to avoid the accursed sicknesses.

That's not to say that we got of Scot free, between Joseph's bronchitis and Lucy's 2 week tonsillectomy ordeal (and the flu for me last fall), we got in on the sickness action, but I've said it before and I will say it again: NOTHING IS AS BAD AS THROW UP WITH LITTLE KIDS. Nothing.

We were pretty legitimate recluses for the last 5 months- no play places, limited play dates with friends, and basically staying home all the time with the exception of the few commitments the girls have: catechesis and choir. I was amazed that they hadn't picked anything up at those 2 places and I found myself saying little prayers in my head on my way to drop them off that they would stay healthy. When it comes to avoiding throw up, I take it all very seriously.

And then yesterday it found us.

I should have known that something was up when I saw Naomi rolling on the floor of the bathroom proclaiming that she was not well, but her penchant for theatrics when it comes to anything illness related kept me hoping that it was nothing.

So I proceeded with what felt like the most pressing of all concerns, sewing some new window treatments for the window in front of our sink, which was previously clad with the ugliest set of horribly sewn (by yours truly) sheer maroon monstrosities:


I begged Naomi to overcome her discomfort and go outside with the little girls while Joseph "napped" (screamed) in the crib and I ran downstairs to sew a quick new something or other for the kitchen window.

I got roughly 8 minutes into the project when Naomi came back in to lay on the couch and Bernadette followed as always. I waited a few minutes and never heard Lucy come back in so I yelled up to asked the girls to check on her and that's when the "shit hit the fan", as they say.

It became clear that Lucy had never gone outside with girls, but instead sneaked into my room to douse both her own face and my bed sheet in my lipstick, bronzer and mascara.




And then Naomi started throwing up and didn't stop for several hours.


I'm going to go ahead and say that the only one with any luck of avoiding getting stricken with this virus is Lucy, whose skills in the stealth department are unmatched thus far in the Hahn home, maybe she can find somewhere to hide.

And because I know you were wondering, I finished my window furnishing project, which is apparently all that matters anyways.



Stay healthy, party people!

11 comments :

  1. Lucy's expression...I just...I can't even! Haha.

    And your window treatments do look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy's expression...I just...I can't even! Haha.

    And your window treatments do look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....and this is probably old news, but I love your current header!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ....and this is probably old news, but I love your current header!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ditto Michele. Gorgeous curtain, silly girl, cool header. Also, I hope Naomi recovers quickly and it was something she ate and therefore incommunicable to the rest of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are 100% right about homeschooling health! We put everyone in school this year and we were sick constantly with everything under the sun. We spent Christmas in feverish delirium because our resident nose picker managed to catch the flu on the last day before break. I have been told that the first year is the worst and they do build up immunities. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the curtain. And the naughty face. Hope it passes fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We homeschool too, and we still got hit so hard by all. the. germs. last year. Puke bugs times three, flu, and on and on. Thankfully this year was better, even though my oldest now goes part-time to the local Catholic school. I hope that the bug will be limited to just Naomi! And I love the new curtains :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new header and curtain! Sophie got hit with the flu bug last night, and I'm crossing allllll my appendages that the worst is over for you and for us! I know I'm a huge baby, but this is kind of my nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely agree with you that stomach bugs + kids = 100% the worst ever. I was so proud/thankful that we managed to escape this winter unscathed... until my 1 year old started throwing up at 2:30pm on Good Friday (appropriate timing, I suppose... it was certainly a penitential day for me!). Three out of the five of us got it, and so none of us made it to Easter Mass this year. I'm still recovering emotionally from the trauma 2+ weeks later...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear...I don't have kids (yet) but I dread the days of vomit. Give me almost anything else, but NO NO NO on the puke. AHH! I'm pretty sure we will become recluses just the same.

    ReplyDelete