Thursday, January 7, 2016

the little blog that could

In the life of this blog I do not recall another entire month gone by without checking in at all, but I do suppose it is fitting at currently because I do not recall another time in my life that I have felt so very under a rock, a survival-mode rock, if you will. And since it has taken me a solid 24 hours to get this post up, I suspect the blog's revival will be a sloooooow one. But! In the past several days I have cleaned 2 bathrooms and dusted and mopped a floor. And if those weren't good enough indications that things are taking a turn for the not-as-difficult, I even don't feel like I will gag and lose all contents of my stomach while cooking dinner and the thought of *some* foods is actually pleasing to me for the first time in at least 12 weeks.

How about some Christmas/New Years re-cap and pictures to fill the post pictorially?

Christmas break was good. It began with a really lovely visit to Mike's Grandparents home in Cincinnati, where Joseph attempted to pillage and destroy as many beautiful breakable things as he could, which his ever-so-gracious grandmother only laughed about:

Then we headed to Mike's parents to spend most of the time with his side of the family, since my parents were off gallivanting in the Dominican Republic for their FORTIETH anniversary-- amazing. It was so nice to spend so much quality time with all of his family, and I must say that if your children don't have uncles to do things like wrestle and engage in adorable dance parties with while you sit on the couch and try pry your eyelids open from your perpetual lack of energy, I am truly sorry. Because it is really the best thing ever.


We mostly hunkered down at Fort Hahn because Joseph came down with a wicked case of the croup the night we arrived, resulting in 1 emergent care center visit, then an ER visit, a couple breathing treatments and a dose of steroids and many maaaaany nights of being up most of the night coughing and working abnormally hard to breath. Equal parts sad and exhausting. But he's all better!


New Years day Mike and I got to go to a really beautiful wedding in Pittsburgh (holla, Margaret and Pete!!) while Mike's saintly family played and entertained and cared for the ex-utero Hahn children and it was a really fabulous finale to our trip.

Now we're back and I am suffering from the post-first-trimester awakening to ALL THE DIRT. Everywhere. Every room. So gross. It is remarkable how the mind of a woman (at least this woman) in her first trimester puts up big blinders to all the things she cannot fathom doing, like cleaning bathrooms or wiping smeared food off of windows or mopping, ever. This is a blessing and a curse, for obvious reasons and I am currently dealing with the curse of seeing it all at once and needing to clean all of it, now!

But then there are the kids and the meal making and the homeschooling. Right the homeschooling. Is that even happening? Not right now. I decided that I needed an extra week to not feel like the house wasn't attacking me with its nastiness and I figured that if college students aren't back in school yet, why the heck are the first graders?  We're doing what the college kids do and that's that.

And how about a not-so-little, super grainy 15 week bump picture, because this week needs to be  documented as the sweet spot where life started to feel more manageable again. Thank you, 15 weeks.
You like that strategic laundry placement, don't you? I'm thinking of getting into photography staging, it's just a talent I have.

Until next time!

16 comments :

  1. Loved this post, Ana. I am EXACTLY where you're at right now. Coming out of the first trimester haze to the horrible realization that our house is COVERED IN GRIME and the dining room now has an ant problem. Yayyyyyy. But also yay for not throwing up in 2 days and counting! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana! I am so glad you are feeling ever so slightly better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm climbing that hill too. The "I did nothing but survive November and december" realization that between pregnancy and the holidays your house is just awful. At least the 2nd tri energy is starting to kick in

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I wonder if you couldn't find some kind of High School girl who needs volunteer hours to scrub your bathrooms and mop your floor twice a month.. Maybe from church? I've realized that no matter the budget I need some sort of help! I found a homeschooler who is going to come help out with a few hard to get to chores and she is pretty darn cheap! Btw you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great and HOLLA 15 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look beautiful! But yeah, first trimester and blogging is borderline miraculous. And we're not doing lessons yet either because #stillchristmas #kinda #illusethatforallitsworth But I DEFINITELY like the college student comparison! Most definitely true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On a superficial note, really cute sweater! Glad you're over the dreadful first trimester hump.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cuuuuute. Similar laundry situation over here ("here" indicates 4 different areas of my house btw).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you're feeling better! Our good friends moved to Steubenville this year so he could teach at FSU - they are loving the Catholic community!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What kind of cleaning products do you use, just out of curiosity? Your kids are so super cute! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. CONGRATS!!!!! You are a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you had a little trip with Mike without the kids--and that your energy is back (slowly!) ;) missed your voice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad that you and little Joseph are feeling better! I've been way out of blogosphere for ages and I probably don't have nearly as many reasons for it as you do! So nice to see your fam and congrats on #5!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clicked over here from Kate's name blog. Just wanted to say you look fabulous. I'm 15 weeks too and feeling like maybe a little more morning sickness would have been in my best interest. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Almost 36 weeks over here (whoa - is that for real? nah...yeah...ahh!!!) and it's crazy how far removed I feel from 15 weeks or first trimester woes. I guess the forgetting stuff really does happen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those pajamas are adorable! My brother's wife is expecting a baby too. She's Asian, they met at this site: http://www.asiandate.com/ and I'm so excited if the child will look like her or like my brother)

    ReplyDelete