Monday, February 1, 2016

Adventures in Odyssey

Our girls have come to really love this audio series called Adventures in Odyssey in the last 6 months. It may have something to do with the fact that it was a childhood favorite of Mike's, and he may or may not love listening to them as much as them, but this post has literally nothing to do with that.

This is a post of the Honda variety of Odyssey. I know I know, it's the ultra popular van of the SAHM, but previously I had no idea about this and had no intention of relinquishing our beloved Sienna. However 2 weeks ago, a man driving on the wrong side of the road had different van plans for our fam. I think I've processed the trauma enough to e-log it, so here I go.

You may be wondering what the heck all the random photos have to do with this post, they're pictures of me in our old van as a little homage to the dead Sienna, and because I failed to snap any pictures at the accident scene. Woops!

I've mentioned that my girls have ballet on Mondays, which happens to begin at a terrible time: 3:30, and any fellow mothers of afternoon nappers know that waking babies and toddlers from naps to try to get somewhere on time is a real worst case scenario in momdom (hashtag first world problems.)

On this particular Monday a fortnight ago, I had actually gotten the 3-year-old to nap, like legit REM cycle sleep, which is a wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles. She has a rest time daily, and I try every day to get her to close her eyes to try to sleep, but she does as 3-year-olds do and asserts her will and won't. But this Monday she did! And it was glorious! Until 3:15 rolled around and she was still out and I either needed to have her skip her second ever ballet class, which she had talked and talked about going to since her first ballet class, or wake her and deal with the fury that would follow. It had also snowed recently and we live in South Bend in January, so naturally there were sub zero temps outside, which were also great considerations on the side of skipping the class (smell the foreshadowing, smell it).

The internal battle raged fiercely but in the end I knew she would be crushed if she didn't go to ballet, so I woke her, threw on her ballet gear, handed her fruit snacks to help her perk up, and plopped her in the van with the other 3 in tow, since the old 2 have class after her and Joe is glued to me. Off we creeped on the extremely icy roads, trying really hard to not be late, but knowing better than to speed on the likes of these roads.

We got roughly a mile-and-a-half from our house, and were coming to our turn off in the direction of ballet when an SUV swerved off of his respective side of the road and started coming at us, at a rather fast speed. I was in the far right lane, and the only car in my lane, and there was nothing at all I could do to get away from him. I really didn't want to ram into any cars in front of me, so I started to swerve off the road but since he seemed to be hell bent on smashing into us, he kept coming and eventually smashed into the left hand side of our car-- at full speed knocking us entirely off the road and into the front lawn of some establishment.

Here commences me incessantly kicking myself for not the staying home!!

It was crazy. I almost broke my streak of never screaming the "F" word in front of the kids, but I subbed in "FUDGE!!" at the last moment-- it wouldn't have mattered because the girls' screams completely drowned me out. I was crying, they were crying, everyone was crying except for Joseph, on whose side the car hit- he was sitting and happily munching his yogurt raisins from his snack cup as if nothing happened.

It turns out that those super inexpensive Cosco car seats are the bomb diggity because Joseph's completely protected him from the impact (not the one he is pictured in in any of these pictures). If one of the older girls had been in his place with only their booster seats, we certainly would have had to take a trip to the ER. But thankfully-- SO thankfully-- everyone was fine.

Poor Mike had to borrow our neighbor's car to get to the accident, because-- oh right, did I fail to mention? That was our only car.

Should. Have. Stayed. HOME.

He made it to the scene in lightening speed, the cops came, the guy who hit us took complete responsibility, because well, he was on the wrong side of the road. All it took was Mike driving our car out of the lawn and into a parking lot to know that our car was NOT drive-able. So Mike jogged 1/2 mile in the sub zero whether to our wonderful mechanic who gave us a loaner car to get around in while we waited for the insurance company to give us a verdict on our Sienna. The verdict?

Totaled. Gone forever. So sad. (Or maybe not as sad as my pregnant emotions made me think it was)

Fast forward a few days and many, many hours of our van-hero Mike running all over town to try to find us transportation and shazam:

He found one in the form of the above pictured oh-so-sleek number, however that one is not ours, I'm just not in the habit of photographing our motor carriages.

So we mourn the loss of our sweet navy blue Sienna, who brought 3 of our 4 kids home from the hospital, and who has seen many hours of action from us Hahns, and we look forward to more adventures in the fancy new Odyssey.

12 comments :

  1. How terrifying! But I love our odyssey. And it holds six kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.MY. I am SO glad you are all okay! What an incredibly scary story. Thanks be to God for Guardian Angels. Hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, so glad everyone is fine (physically, at least!)! And thank you for the info on the awesome Cosco car seats...we have them because they're super cheap through our insurance and now I will keep my boys in them forever. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! This is why it's my opinion that no one should leave the house in snow or ice conditions. I mean, I AM from Louisiana, but it makes zero sense to me that people try to continue with normal life during those seasons...weird!!! (And I'm sort of trying to be funny, not actually accusing you of doing something reckless...just for the record.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is crazy so glad you are all safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you ever get by with one vehicle? I do not know how you're remaining sane with the knowledge that you'll soon be the mother of five children (I'm joking! -- sort of). I have heard it's hard to adjust from two to three, and the thought of having 'only' three children makes me want to cry!

    Maybe that's why I'm the mother of only one 7 year old. Still, I've done my time...no minivans or car seats allowed around here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How absolutely terrifying! And also amazing how everything worked out-wow!
    And I had to laugh a bit at the "everybody crying" part because I don't think my girls and I could *not* cry in an accident situation...so many emotions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness!! So glad you're safe!!!! I've had fendor benders and those shook me up plenty. And I can totally relate to the "just stay home" guilt. If it makes you feel better, I probably would have been on my way to ballet class, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad everyone was ok! Not trying to start a comments war, but it probably doesn't hurt that you're the only blogger I follow who buckles her kids in their car seats correctly.

    ReplyDelete