Tuesday, August 30, 2016

First day of whaaaa?!?!?!

I am still in a little bit of shock that I actually got things together enough to begin school this week. I ordered a bunch of books a few weeks ago and as they trickled in my vom-reflex got stronger and stronger. I have never been so terrified to get into homeschooling, never mind the fact that I've only done 2 years of homeschooling previously, and the first year I was only teaching Naomi to read, although I'd say that is the most difficult task there is for me so far.

There is just something about the build up and the fact that I am always holding myself to some standard that is likely non-existent and me comparing myself to other people, but still, it's hard. 

So the books came and I stared at them for about a week and wrote "lesson plan!" on a to-do list in the hopes that I would actually open them at some point and plan what we were going to do. In the end I just opened them the morning of and picked which lesson we were starting with and that was that. I am an all-star, what can I say?

At the recommendation of couple woman much better at homeschooling than me I decided to do a "slow start" this week and we are only doing the essentials: math, reading, writing and spelling and next week we'll introduce a little more and a little more. It's more for me than them- such good advice.

Homeschooling with a new born is no joke.

But now that we've started I remember that I love it and that the kids crave and thrive on the structure and I am more fulfilled as a mother than ever from being able to teach them during these early formative years. I'm sure if you talk to me in a couple of months I will be singing a different tune, but right now it is good and I am so glad I have them home.

Happy beginning of the school year to you and yours!!

6 comments :

  1. Hi long time reader, I was just feeling like this too! I have 4 littles aged 4 and under, with the youngest being 4 mos ��lol. But exactly! Even though my planning is underwhelming somehow it is so fulfilling to teach my crazies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am slow starting homeschooling after 3 years of kids in school 😁 good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We eeeeeeased into doing school again as well. Something about those crisp new workbooks makes me excited and terrified at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe Naomi and Bernadette are in 2nd and 1st - crazy! I remember when you were going back and forth about homeschooling or not - and now look at you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homeschool with a newborn is KILLER! But it can be done. I found the Boppy to be my best friend. I would wrap it around me so I could nurse/hold the baby easily during lessons at the table. I also did a lot of baby wearing. The structure that homeschooling brought to the day after having a new baby, though, was really delicious and well received by all of us! We needed it!
    Good luck this year!!! I hope it's a great one.

    ReplyDelete