Monday, August 28, 2017

CWBN Mid-Atlantic 2017

There is no way I could host a blogging conference and not BLOG about it, ok I'm sure I could given my record, but if there is one major positive I took away from Saturday it was a fresh motivation to attempt some amount of consistency with the blog (thank you, Elizabeth!). So here's step one of that attempt.

I feel so silly for being such a nervous wreck leading up to this event, but after it was over Saturday I actually said the words: "I have not felt this much relief since giving birth". A wee bit dramatic? Always. But there were nuggets of truth in that statement-- nuggets.
Begging for extra grace + the only shot of the dress I found at Goodwill last week, which I love-- it is the comfiest thing ever.

I am sure it was just because 1) I've never hosted an event like this one before, you know, with speakers and a schedule and people driving in from out of town etc... And 2) I had never met the majority of the women coming. So I guess the nerves made sense, but as an intense extrovert it really threw me off that I was so anxious over it.

But it went so beautifully.

The event could not have happened without my parents, I'll just get that out there right away. They come into town and brought loads of necessary items: the giant tent that everything happened under,  the 2 small tents, the majority of the chairs and tables, a giant coffee pot, swag from vendors, and then they kept the kids out doing fun things with Mike all day, they are amazing. 

And Mike, he is the most amazing of all-- I could fill an entire post as a tribute to him and how he made this conference happen, but I will keep it focused for now, he is a stud among men.

The day before the conference I was talking to my confessor about how nervous I was and he just responded with a calm, joyful exclamation that I "should just be so excited to meet so many other daughters of God." That definitely helped to put it into perspective, the purpose of the conference - and honestly the purpose of blogging overall for me - is meeting, interacting with, and building relationships with so many other daughters of God.

Elizabeth gave the keynote talk and my favorite line from it was "a blog community is an interactive network of Mary and Elizabeth moments", alluding to the Visitation and the moment of joy and support and encouragement between Jesus' mother and her cousin, Elizabeth. Blogging has been that for me at its best moments. Obviously it has its moments where it stresses me out, or comments get me down, or I'm too concerned with numbers and comparing my blog to other blogs, but it has the potential to be an interactive network of Mary and Elizabeth moments and days like Saturday bring that into sharp focus.


Kelly gave a talk on "Blogging by Your Own Rules", which I only got to hear the beginning and end of, (thanks Fred) but I still managed to glean several pieces of wisdom from and Mary gave a talk on choosing joy which had most of the audience in tears by the end.


Plus Kelly and Mary jumped on my trampoline together which was basically a dream come true.

Due to my spastic state I think I logged approximately 3.5 hours of sleep the night before and I woke up worried that I wouldn't be able to formulate coherent sentences to other adults, let alone carry on meaningful conversations with tons of new friends, but the combo of God's grace, and the perk of being a sanguine who gets energy from interaction with people made it so that it was ok (though I am sorry if I mumbled anything incoherent to you that day, it definitely may have happened. Also I'm sorry for the spider coffee.)

The swag bags featured goodies from Brass and Mint, Call her Happy, Meyer Market Designs...

As well as Catholic to the Max and my beloved in-laws. Plus my extremely talented neighbor hand wrote everyone's name on their folder because she is a GEM. Rosie grew and arranged all the flowers for the day (amazeballs) and I said it once and I will say it again, the day would not have happened without so many collaborative efforts.

For the last few weeks it had been in the 90s here with the "real feel" into the 100s because it's August in Virginia but God worked nothing short of a miracle by giving us a beautiful, clear SEVENTY FIVE DEGREE day for the conference-- a miracle indeed.

All in all it was such a wonderful day and I am so grateful to have had so many beautiful daughters of God under my roof, and in my yard, and on my trampoline.


17 comments :

  1. Everything did work out so beautifully, and you handled it all with grace and poise! It was truly a pleasure to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a wonderful day. I'm still reflecting on all of the wisdom spoken in the talks. Thank you for all of the hard work you did behind the scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Events like these make me WISH I was a blogger! Would love to know the whole list of ladies & where to read their stuff (being there would've been incredible. Can these events please have a "dedicated reader" invite?? I dream big...). But I know assembling that list would be a big task! Thank you for your online presence. You & others who give glimpses into your life don't know how many visitation moments you actually facilitate. So glad the day went well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you threw such an amazing event Ana! You're a rockstar! What a wonderful group of women you brought together, your hard work paid off by the looks and sounds of things. Wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was truly a wonderful day. Thank you so much for all your hard work and for opening your beautiful home for this event. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh so sad I couldn't come!! It looks sooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What Kimberly said- totally handled everything with grace and poise! Thanks so much for hosting and opening your home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That rocks. And what a rockstar line up!!
    And yes I get the keyed-up ness. Why do we extroverts get so cray cray?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hosting, Ana! The day was full of just the encouragement that I needed. I totally agree with you about Elizabeth's quote from her talk -- "Mary and Elizabeth moments" -- what a life-giving, communal perspective from which to approach blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ana, I'd love to connect with the CWBN and attend your next event--can you place me on an info list or let me know how to contact the moderator? I blog at whatsthedifference4988.blogspot.com. -Cathy from Ashburn Va, tlc4amaj@aol.com also, sorry for all the deletes up above from this and my other account--I'm very technologically challenged, and trying to post notes on blogs always seems to send me into a tailspin!

    ReplyDelete