Thursday, April 19, 2012

Dumb and Unholy

Last night while chatting before my 10 p.m. bedtime, Mike melodramatically sighed and buried his head in his pillow, and when I asked "what's wrong?" he replied gravely (but jokingly),  "You wouldn't understand, you don't even have a Masters degree." Great.

Then, this afternoon, while we were taking Mike to campus, he was pushing for putting on our newly gifted audio recording of the New Testament, but I wanted to listen to a new pop music cd, which I had brought for the occasion. I acceded to his (holier) wishes, albeit while making fun of the voice of Jesus (just a little bit). As we neared the campus I went ahead and put on some Matt Kearney, because he makes me feel good (and that's what is ALL about really, right?). So I put it on and Bernadette and I were quite content.

Not 2 minutes into the song, my other holier-than-me family member (the 3-year-old) asked repeatedly, "Can we please put on the Rosary???"

"Um, ok."

I'm just happy that even though the mother of these children is so *obviously* pagan, their baptismal graces are trumping that.

I may be unholy but I'm not entirely unhealthy:
yup, you're seeing that right, it's a carrot. stop the presses.

What can I say, I am a work in progress.

(*a note: I love the Bible and the Rosary)

4 comments :

  1. Ha! My husband is an 80 year old man in a 33 year old's body, I swear. The ONLY music he listens to is classical and if it's not music it's a.m. talk radio. OMG. How did we ever realize we were MFEO? God is super clever, because it just doesn't make sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I second guess music suggestions for the same reasons =). Oh well =)! Also the title "dumb and unholy" sounds like something I'd say with a pout to Dave to get a good laugh out of him while making fun of myself. You're so funny, Ana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We lead similar lives, my friend. The whole trip down to MD from MA my 7 year old son kept begging me to put on the Bible (same version, just on our phone) and I kept making him wait so I could listen to my upbeat driving music. Fail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I can relate to this post. I am always trying to keep up with my holier than me husband. The fact that your 3 year old requested the rosary is very impressive;)

    ReplyDelete