Monday, August 27, 2012

Easy, spicy burritos and more...

First: go check out Cari's most recent edition of snapshots from a Sunday. They are fantastic, and so is her new blog look. 

We all know that I am a big fan of recipes that require very few ingredients and very little time. We all knew that, right? No?

So this new-found dinner recipe will be on the menu for the next many, many weeks to come until neither me, nor Mike, nor our plumber (what?) will tolerate another burrito being eaten in this house. Sick- sorry. Also, this is not a new recipe at all. It is a recipe for burritos, which I am sure you all already know off the top of your heads and make weekly.

But it was revolutionary for me.

Mainly because I have a husband who likes meat- a lot. And he happens to have a very pregnant, very easily nauseated wife who does not like to look at/handle/go anywhere near, let alone eat, store-bought meat right now-- I say store-bought because I would gladly eat a burger that someone else made, just not one that I made. I do not want to see the pre-cooked meat.

But Mike loves this. It is super hearty and filling, and here's the clincher: EASY.
I also really like this recipe because it uses up all the contents of all the ingredients: 8 tortillas, 1 can of beans, 1 can of tomatoes, and if you are super crazy, one block of cheese-- we were not so crazy because Mike is ever-so-rigorously fighting the battle of the bulge. SIDE NOTE: One large burrito is about 10 weight watcher points, not bad considering one is an entire meal for me.

So I give you an easy, tasty, minimal-ingredient recipe for spicy burritos. With more pictures than instructions- me likey.


Ingredients:
  • Burrito tortillas 
  • Re-fried beans
  • Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis 
  • Shredded cheddar cheese
  • White rice (not pictured)
Prepare the rice and add the can of Rotel (it is rather spicy, so I make one for the girls with just rice and no Rotel)

Spread beans on tortilla
Give a hefty scoop of rice
A generous sprinkling of cheese
Fold up and place on pan to bake @ 400 for 10-ish minutes (flip and bake for 5 more on the other side if you so desire both sides to be crispy. We do.)

While baking, head to the living room to watch your husband rolling your children into human burritos:
I did not prompt this.
And one dad burrito for good measure:
Yes, she is taking a bite of him
Then enjoy your dinner with a cold can of Icehouse- only for the classiest.

And wrap up the generous leavings for an entire. other. meal.



Shazam!

"Wow, this burrito is delicious, but it is filling."



8 comments :

  1. I love the human burrito pictures, especially the one of Mike! Recipe sounds pretty good too and seeing as how I share your anti-affinity for store bought meat, we will have to try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I will definitely have to try this. I can probably make a few for dinners in advance, love the pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!!! I definitely just got hungry for a burrito at almost 8 am. I am the same...the other day I was so happy to eat a hot pocket, extremely happy, in fact. If I could, I'd ask Naomi if her Dad burrito was good =). Thanks for making me hungry....hehe...it's okay, you made me laugh too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're making me hungry!

    P.S. Looking slim, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man I love me some Will Ferrel in the a.m. Thanks fraaaand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Need a variation? We do Burrito Bowls about twice a week. For serious. Rice, black beans heated on the stove, salsa, guac, microwaved frozen corn, sometimes cheese, sometimes rotisserie chicken. Throw a scoop of each in a bowl and inhale with chips. mmmmmm. Laziness and deliciousness be mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ana, I have been reading more lately as this past week I pretty much spent most days on the couch and I have to say that this post makes me smile because not only does Michael remind me so much of Gabriel in these photos, but we have a strict "Taco Tuesday" rule at our house where some variation of taco/burrito is every Tuesday nights meal....simply because its easy. Thank you for blogging the ordinary :)It makes me smile & you are the real deal. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, you're so sweet, that makes me really wish we were closer so we could have you guys over/you could have us over and we could eat our fill of burritos/tacos together :)

      Delete