Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Retraction

I would like to formally retract my previous praise of the Pinterest Banana Ice Cream craze about which I recently posted.

Here's the deal: I was hasty in my post. I hadn't yet tried out other ways of making the stuff and I was just so darn impressed that it had an initial consistency of soft serve ice cream (which it only retains for the first 30 seconds of being blended). I think you could have told me that dog feces could be ice cream if you froze it and blended it and I would have been sold based on the excitement that something low-calorie could pass as that frozen goodness (is dog poo low calorie? I know not).


"Did you want that with or without sprinkles?" (photo credit)


So in the end I have made it several more times using different add-ons to try to get it to taste like anything but straight blended bananas, and guess what it only ever tastes like? Straight blended bananas. Even with 2 heaping tablespoons of Nutella this evening, all you could taste was banana. And too much banana. I am no longer a fan. If you have to add hundreds of calories to get it to resemble anything close to ice cream, than I say, why not just eat ice cream? Or, if you want to eat something that tastes like bananas, than why not just eat a banana?

So I am sorry for my hasty high praises, and hopefully you didn't waste too much time, energy or bananas based on that post. Ana, over and out.

12 comments :

  1. haha that was exactly my conclusion. At first I was so excited about it...but I just couldn't get the banana taste to go away..the kids loved it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My littlest liked it tonight when I put tons of Nutella in it, but again, not really worth it :)

      Delete
  2. This was my suspicion all along. That and I have a hatred for bananas so I wasn't willing to use my weekly dessert on it haha I am sorry that it didn't pan out though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very glad you did not waste your dessert on it :)

      Delete
  3. Ana, good thing my lazy saved me from your hasty! I never got past eating the Nutella straight from the jar...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my exact thought this evening, that tablespoon of nutella would have tasted ten times better if put directly into my mouth, for sure.

      Delete
  4. It takes a real woman to admit she was wrong about frozen bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't be dismayed, I did not try it because we almost never have bananas around as David eats really low carbohydrate these days (as recommended by his doc) and I don't like bananas enough to buy myself a bunch very often. Instead we usually have mixtures of real cream and sugar substitute....I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of happy about this. I definitely get more carbs than him right now though (I hide things. . .)heh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Instead, try making this ice cream- whip two cups of heavy cream and fold in a can of condensed milk. Then freeze.

    I like to stir about a half-cup of Nutella into the condensed milk. And espresso powder. For the low-cal treatment (I am nursing twins, I am entitled). Then you get Nutella mocha ice cream. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same thing happened to me. I made frozen bananas once. And then ran out to McD's for a frozen cone because all the frozen banana stuff did was piss my tongue off.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAHAHAHA! I just read this whole post out loud to Tommy! And he pointed out that one of our dogs enjoyes poo-sicles in the winter. ahem *frozen dog feces*. So yes, I think we should try it. Yep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stick frozen bananas in a glass of milk with sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a teeny bit of blackstrap molasses (which makes it a health food you know). Then blend. I lived on these when I was pregnant; they just hit the spot and they get you to drink your milk.

    ReplyDelete