Sunday, September 2, 2012

Bananas+Freezer=Ice Cream

I realize that this recipe will probably not be surprising for anyone, since everyone and their mother (literally, even really old people) is on Pinterest, and this recipe is apparently all over the place there. But I have recently vacated the Pinterest scene, which of course has left me void of all creativity/home making skills and our house now resembles a luxury cardboard box-- that's just the price you pay. Also, we've just been eating vittles.

Then this week my sister, who moved a little while ago to a town a couple hours from me, called me up offering to come visit and help me the heck out. Seriously, there has been a glut of toddler watching, dish cleaning, house cleaning, talking and hanging out with her otherwise non-social SAHM sister. It has been glorious.

However, even though she has helped in every way, I think that the most important contribution she's made so far is introducing me to Banana Ice Cream. This crazy new thing where you freeze bananas and then put them in your food processor and they turn into ICE CREAM. What the H? How is this just now getting around to me?? I don't know, but I thought that on the off chance that anyone and I mean anyone who reads this blog has also not been enlightened, they should be asap.
"Ana, when did you get an in-kitchen soft serve machine?" Just bananas.


A friend was recently telling me about the Yonanas Ice Cream treat maker, which also operates on the concept of putting frozen bananas in something and magically turning them into ice cream. But you don't even need this contraption! All I have is a fairly crappy mini food processor and it worked like a charm.

Without further ado, I give you banana ice cream:

Ingredients:
3 bananas, cut into pieces and frozen for at least 2 hours, until not soft and frozen through
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Vanilla extract

Place in food processor or blender and blend away until smooth and creamy, just like ice cream!

**We tried this one with the cocoa powder which gave it a dark chocolate flavor, but you can do ANYTHING. I used honey yesterday and it was delish. I really want to try Nutella (that won't negate the health factor at all) Chrissy put some peanut butter on hers in the above picture.

"Say, brainless, don't you know where coconuts come from?"

And Mike threw some strawberries onto his chocolate "ice cream"

And that's that.
This may end up making it so that I don't gain an extra 12 pounds in the last-mester since all I have been wanting is ice cream, or any cold/frozen treat packed with sugar. But first I have to finish the 2 bags of frozen Reese's cups in my freezer. Maybe I will add them to my Banana Cream.




2 comments :

  1. It's lucky for me that I don't like bananas, because I would make this all the time.

    A word of caution- I have a friend who LOVES this, but has burned out three blenders making it, one for each time he's done it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of the Yonanna machine but had no idea you could do it in a blender. I have a Blendtec so I should have no problem.

    ReplyDelete