Monday, May 13, 2013

A Blessed Mother's Day

I woke up yesterday morn with a certain ambivalence toward mother's day.

On the one hand, I felt like people should be doing things for me, treating me extra special to show how much I mean to them and how much I do. On Saturday night I found myself prepping the girls for the next day by saying things like "tomorrow is mother's day! You have to make sure you are extra sweet to me and behave really well to show me how much love me!". And while I said nothing, I silently hoped for something extra-crazy special from Mike, on top of the beergaritas and donuts that he brought me on Saturday night (plus the promise of lots of extra Sunday sleep). You can see how this was a recipe for feeling under appreciated and disappointed.

And then on the other hand, when Sunday came, I felt super guilty for feeling like anyone owed me anything. I mean, most days I feel like I am the WORST! I spend most of my days yelling at my kids and being selfish with my time and energy. I don't deserve anything! I need to be a heck of a better mother before people start making me breakfast in bed or bringing me a dozen roses.

On the one hand, I wanted a long break form my kids because I am tired and feel burned out, but on the other hand it's *mother's day*, I should be enjoying time with my children and thanking God that I have them.

So I decided not to spend too much time worrying over the conflicted emotions and we went ahead and devoted the second half of the day to the one Mother who is perfect and who always deserves tons of affection, love and affirmation all the time, every day- and especially on mother's day. Our Lady.

We are fortunate enough to live right next to a beautiful replica of the Grotto at Lourdes on Notre Dame's campus. The campus itself has a very special devotion to Our Lady of Lourdes and Saint Bernadette, which is a huge reason that our second born is named after the amazing saint.
photo

After Mike treated me to an extra-long, much needed afternoon nap, we got all packed up and headed out for the Grotto to make a little walking-Rosary-mini-Pilgrimage to see Our Lady and tell her how much we love her.

Then go to feed to ducks who live at the lake on the campus, of course.


It was awesome. I was thoroughly impressed by how much of the rosary Naomi actually prayed and that Bernadette did not protest her the prayers for the entirety by shouting "I do not like prayer!!" over and over again (only for the first decade).

I felt like it centered mother's day on something else other than me, which is always good, and made me truly grateful for the heavenly mother that I, and especially that my girls have, who will never fail us and always care for us with the utmost prefect motherly care. A mother's day well spent.

Our Lady of Fatima (today's feast), pray for us.

12 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing, Ana! I am so glad it turned out to be a great day. You have a beautiful family! I hear you about the tension on Mother's Day. I decided rather than having high expectations I would just write down all the things I wanted for Mother's day ( breakfast in bed, roses, sweet letter, ect.) and give it to Jonathan. How needy/lame is that? Lame on one hand, but on the other hand I was happy that he met my expectations (and exceeded them) :)
    -Diana Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending Julia for rosary saying camp. Thank you!

    And. Happy Mothers Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Ana! And I am utterly consoled that children other than mine shout things like, "I do not like prayer!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! My husband and I really miss that grotto....the South Bend winter, not so much :) I always love reading about your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome. What a great reminder.

    I am the same way about Mother's Day: I want to be treated extrrrra special, but then I feel guilty for feeling that way (oh, mom guilt, how clever you are). I think you spent the day in the most perfect way. Maybe it will become a tradition for your fam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same feelings yesterday- wanting to be pampered and waited on, but then guilt for being self-centered ,and for all the times I'm a jerk. Great post, and thanks for the reminder to focus on THE mother!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a perfect way to spend Mother's Day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to know I'm not the only one with such high expectations and conflicting emotions on Mother's Day!!

    Our day was pretty laid back as well, which was good for my soul including a long nap and a request for treats from my husband so that I could say he "got" me something for Mother's Day...haha...but in all honesty, I purchased something i wanted 2 weeks before hand and used "mother's day" as my purchasing excuse. Ah well. Our Lady always points the way to better motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Mother's Day was so spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. touching post! love the photo of your girls kneeling to pray...so sweet!

    ReplyDelete