Monday, June 24, 2013

on-site blogging

Greetings from sunny Steubenville and my quiet nap time perch where I am taking over my mom's laptop and sipping my dad's miller light at 2:30 in the afternoon. It has been less than 24 hours of playing somewhat single mom over here at my parent's while Mike retreats 5 minutes from us on campus, my hair has not been brushed in 2 days and I am drinking well before 5 p.m.-- a small glimpse into how it's going so far, awesome and insane.
I would say that the girls are in rare form because of Mike not being around, but things had starting getting out of control well before he even started his retreat/conference/week of study and prayer. Yesterday morning greeted me with a very dehydrated and vomiting 4-year-old due to an entire Saturday of running, playing and swimming with her fellow blood relatives with barely a sip of water to drink, in 90 degree weather and INTENSE humidity.



Because I am an all star mother who knows how to take care of kids real good.


Backing up a bit, the drive to Ohio was really very pleasant because we decided to break it up into 2 days this time and I feel as if we will never be able to do the whole thing at once again. Never mind that it is only a 6 hour drive, doing only 4 1/2 the first day and much less than that the second day felt so fabulous and we got to visit some wonderful cousins in between. It was lovely.


I do not know what it is about sleeping in other beds that makes Bernadette and Naomi turn back into hellish sleepers and disgustingly early risers, but I would very much appreciate it if whatever it is would die. After 3 nights in a row of random middle of the night screaming from being kicked by one another, Naomi claiming that there are cuts between all of her toes or begging for non-existent sweaters, and then waking up a full hour earlier than normal even though bedtime was a full hour later than normal, I am ready for this to start feeling like "home" since we will be here for the next 2 weeks and I might just have to start sleeping with head phones on and hoping that the girls decide to call on someone else circa 2 a.m. The phantom vomiting that I heard this morning which made me jump full throttle out of bed at 5 a.m. only to realize that no one was awake or vomiting didn't help either. I only exaggerate a little, as always.
The only civilized one in this family.

And so we are here, Mike has temporarily checked out until Thursday, the girls are- as far as I know- well hydrated, not vomiting and happily napping, and I am having a fabulous time with my families despite sleeplessness, tired, defiant, and occasionally psychotic tantrumming children, to which I raise my glass and drink.

6 comments :

  1. This is exactly how my kids are when we travel. Very. hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traveling with small people is THE WORST in terms of sleep. And then they have to get back into the swing when you get home. But it's worth it with family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May all your vomiting be phantom and everyone start sleeping better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, merely *planning* trips with the kids gives me anxiety. It seems like every road-trip or flight with children MUST, by definition, include vomit. Fun times! Yet we keep doing it. I guess we like our family enough to endure the travel. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Show me a child who sleeps well in strange beds and I will show you ONE MILLION DOLLARS. Heck, mine can barely sleep in their own beds sometimes. Especially the one(s) that are in the 2-4 age range. It is a suck. But beer at 2:30! Jelly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, hello Steubenville! A retreat, drinking during the day, and crazy wild kids? Sounds just like when we were back at Franciscan :)

    ReplyDelete