Friday, December 6, 2013

7 Quick Takes: sleep sacks, fake cards and St. Nick's day

Linking up with Jen this freeeeeeezing Saint Nicholas day (see how I squeezed that weather complaint all nice and sly there? Expect a whole lot of that over here from now on).

1) Speaking of freezing weather, if you are a person who lives anywhere in the world that gets the bitter cold weather we do (apparently I can count Texas in that club now too), I've made a fortuitous discovery as of late that I'll tell you about. This Merino wool sleep sack  is my new best friend, or more accurately, Lucy's new best friend. But it helps her sleep without being effected by the ridiculous cold, so it is mine too.

We have a heater yes, but some rooms of our house seem to get extra cold at night (ahem, LUCY'S room) so keeping a blanket of some sort on her during the night is extremely helpful and extremely hard. Enter this fabulous Merino wool lined sleep sack from the wonderful people at Merino Kids and all my problems are solved. It is so great too because while it is lined with the wool, the outer layer is a lighter cotton material so that she is well insulated but not sweating through it nightly either. It is just perfect. It also has a great snap-under-the-arm feature so that is can fit a small babe and my large one. Win win. The quality of the sack is like none that I have seen, and we've seen our share of sleep sacks here in the Hahn house. The kind that I have used previously could only be taken on and off with one zipper up the center of the sack, but this one has snaps at the top that the baby can slip in and out of AND a really great zipper feature across that bottom and up the side. They really pull out all the stops as far as sleep sacks go and I would definitely say this is worth checking out, which you can do right here.

2) We went the totally lazy route this year and are just not sending out Christmas cards. The thing is that we've gotten in the habit (well, if you can count doing something 2 times as a habit) of sending joint Christmas cards/birth announcements the 2 times we've had October babies, and now it feels so boring to just send a Christmas card. No new baby?!? No Christmas card.

3) But if we were sending Christmas cards, I definitely would have gotten my incredibly talented sister to fashion them for me, and not just because she is my sister, because she is a Christmas card genius. If you have not ordered your cards yet, you should definitely consider her and her wonderful Etsy shop. Her card quality is top notch and her designs are adorable. Cue takes 4, 5, and 6. Cheater cheater.

4) Favorite

5) Second place:
6) And...
It is a really good thing that we didn't actually send them out because I would know have known which one to choose, I love them all. Head over to her shop and check out the awesomeness!

7) And to close the post, here are some pictures from our Saint Nicholas day thus far. I am working on a mental "Celebrating Saint Nicholas Day" post, but it probably won't be up until some time next year, so until then, check this one out now! 
^ Lucy love mallows.
 ^ They're all from the thrift store.

 ^ Getting crazy.

 ^ Because we needed more toys.

This last one was taken post ruining the turkey we were set to have for our Saint Nicholas Day Feast by accidentally keeping it out all night after it was already defrosted, you can see how happy I look about it. I have awarded myself with an "Idiot of the Year" plaque already, so no worries.

Happy feast day and head over to Jen's for more!

13 comments :

  1. We decided to do Christmas photo cards this year so I got all of the envelopes stuffed, addressed, and sealed only to have Ben tell me that we need to include some sort of personal message on there so I get to do a grand redo. Humbug! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never took our family photo for our Christmas photo (which is bad since I'm a pro photographer...), but those cards are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan is climbing over my shoulder yelling, "Yucy! Yucy!" Sorry, Bernadette ... the focus is on the younger sister today!

    And we are coming to your house! 69 or 70 seems balmy compared to our 68 or lower place. Booo the cost of heat.

    Finally ... that gif of the Christmas tree!! Going to shamelessly copy ... if we ever put our tree up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 18 F in Utah right now (My husband says it was -4 with the wind chill this morning)! I try to keep my thermostat below 70, too, but my husband is a bit of a temperature pansy. :) I certainly appreciate sharing e-moments with other starving students! And why is it always the baby's room that is the coldest? We have a space heater that used to work, but this time around his feet are always freezing in the morning, in spite of it!!

    I went back and re-looked at your Christmas tree photo before I realized it sparkles! Awesome-- I love it! One exceedingly stressful holiday season we didn't get our tree put up until much later (and I thought it wasn't going to happen at all). When things fell into place so we could get one, and we got it set up, it… just made me happy. I guess mostly because of the service that was rendered and the feeling that the Lord was watching out for us, after all. I love them especially, now, because of that….

    Until our tree of this year gets turned over five times, most of the ornaments are on the floor and/or broken, and the carpet is starting to smell of mold from all the water that I have unsuccessfully tried to mop up… five times. :) I'm trying not to be a grinch. It is harder, this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you make those Christmas lights sparkle? I showed my 8yo son and he said: "You should ask her. You HAVE to ask her." =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, that is the weirdest thing!! They do NOT sparkle in rel life and I did nothing to the picture to make that happen. It's a Saint Nicholas Day miracle!

      Delete
    2. I was wondering the same thing lol Yay St. Nick!

      Also, LOVE those Christmas cards :-) Like you though the only reason we've sent out cards is because we had a new baby and that was last year. This year...I'm too lazy haha

      Delete
  6. Cute kids, cards and post. But did I read right that the sleep sack is on sale for the bargain price of $99-$119?!?! Ouch! I think I micght just straight jacket up my 18month old in a merino sweater of my own for the night. I'm only partly kidding at those prices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you keep it at 69-70 at night? We do 68 during the day and drop down to 65 at night, but the nursery can get colder than that (before we had kids, my husband insisted on setting it to 59 - yes 59! - at night because he loves to sleep in the cold; I put my foot down when our first was born and 65 at night was our compromise) . We live in a end-unit 4-story townhouse, so the heat control among floors is difficult. We've used the halo sleep sacks in the past, but I've going to check out the Merino ones as they look even better. And we just had Baby #3 on October 29, and I just ordered by Christmas cards and birth announcements yesterday to go out together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am just a SUPER big baby about being cold and so should not complain!

      Delete
  8. I love winter, but not being cold - if that makes any sense. My husband and I have different opinions as to what "cold" is, which is why I sleep in fleece pajamas and he in shorts and a tee shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am I going crazy or is that tree twinkling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you're not, it is! And I figured out how, because I did nothing to make that happen. When you upload photos through google plus, it automatically makes your lights twinkle and snow in your pictures fall to the ground as a festive bonus to all your pictures. It scared the crap out of me when I realized it was twinkling.

      Delete