Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Belly Buds {Volume 1}

Lauren was one of my very best friends through almost all of college and on. We got "stuck" together in a room our sophomore year while studying abroad in Austria, we really did not know each other at all. All of our other friends lived in the main living quarters on the campus with at least 3 people in the room, while we were stuck in what we called the "bell tower" with just the two of us. While the first couple of weeks were really awkward, by the end of the first month we were already great friends. We lived together for a lot of the remainder of college, were in each others' weddings, and are now each having our fourth babies due within 2 weeks of each other and even though she lives over 900 miles away, it is so fun to be sharing the experience so closely with such a close friend. If you've never visited her her super sweet, very real and fun blog, Living Little, head over now and give it a good long stay, you won't regret it.

Basically, Lauren and I thought it would be fun to do a few posts comparing bellies and pregnancy deats for the enjoyment (or torture) of all the blog world. I love talking pregnancy and I love to read a good pregnancy post, even though I cringe and feel a little embarrassed almost every time I post one myself. Whatever, this will be fun and it gives me a great chance to stay even more connected with Lauren than just stalking, or ahem, reading her blog. SO here we go!

I now bring you the first installment of (loud drum roll please!):



----

  
+ Best/Worst part of this pregnancy so far +

Lauren:
The best part about this pregnancy so far is that the time is flying by because life with three children and a husband keeps me moving for sure. And regarding the latter, Dan's schedule for most of my first trimester was crazy busy. He was out of town many weekends and when he was in town, he was working late and not able to take any comp time because of all that is going on at work. So the worst/ hardest part has been missing him and his help at home. The exhaustion and nausea that pregnancy brings was not on my side the past few weeks either.

Ana: The best part has been being able to drink coffee the whole time. I don't really like it like I used to, but having one cup in the morning to wake myself up helps immensely and I hated it so much with the other three that I could not even smell it, so this has been an improvement. The worst part is how long the nausea is holding on for. I should not complain because I have it way, way easier than so many ladies, but it will certainly be nice when I feel normal again.

                              + Biggest difference between this pregnancy and the others +

Lauren:
I haven't really noticed many differences between the pregnancies physically, it all kind of blurs together for me anyway. One huge difference just in general is that Emma is 6 and Kolbe is 4! I have two helpers who can do little things around the house to help me, which is awesome. Of course they are not perfect and most of the time their rooms are a mess (along with the living room) but when I say its time to clean up- they do (sort of)! And if their tired mommy needs to prop her legs up, they will bring her some water and you can't beat that. 

Ana: The biggest difference I've noticed is the cravings. Give me salads, fruit, and a hearty deli sandwich but do not come within 50 feet of me with McDonald's unless you want to be gagged at. This is completely and totally the opposite of my other 3 pregnancies, which were all fast food, all the time. I like this one better.

+ Weirdest craving so far +

Lauren:
I don't know about weird, but I think about chicken burritos a lot. Yes, I am pretty excited that a Chipotle is opening in Mobile soon...

Ana: Still the Asparagus. No one else likes it and so I ate almost the entire bunch by myself in one evening. Needless to say my bladder sent out reminders of my binge for at least 24 hours. It was great.

+ Biggest food aversion so far +

Lauren:
Seafood. Which kind of stinks when you live near the Gulf and when you typically love it. One night I decided to make shrimp for dinner. I made the mistake of buying whole shrimp that still had to be peeled and deveined. Not smart. Thankfully, now that I am moving into second trimester, this aversion is fading away.

Ana: Eggs. I am just now coming around to them a little, but the smell of them cooking is as bad as the smell of coffee was for the other 3 girls, and I could not even come close to eating them for at least the first 13 weeks.

+ Most ridiculous thing you've cried over so far and the story behind it +

Lauren:
I have been contemplating this question for awhile. I was stumped- and not because I haven't cried over anything ridiculous, but rather whenever I cry it is always about something ridiculous. The other night we were all watching "Mary Poppins" together. It was Kolbe's first time to watch it and so I was already choking up when he started giggling while watching the chimney sweeps sing "Step in Time". And then when "Let's go fly a kite" came on, the tears started flowing...and they wouldn't stop.

Ana: I have cried during an absurd amount of children's' books so far. I am almost done reading Charlotte's Web with Naomi, we're not even to the part where Charlotte dies yet and I already started getting choked up while reading today. That and crying over weight gain. What can I say? I'm a vain one. The tear fests have just been so frequent this time around, more so than with the other pregnancies. I feel like I have one day each week (usually Saturdays??) where I wake up and just know I will be crying most of the day. Over what? You name it, I'll cry over it.

                                                        + Favorite clothing item so far +

Lauren: The little black jersey maternity dress I am wearing in the picture above. I picked up at Target on a whim about a month ago and I am pretty sure I have worn to Mass every Sunday since. I just wear a different cardigan or necklace and call it a new outfit. Just don't tell anyone.

Ana: Tunics and leggings, all of them. I think my favorite tunic was this black number from TJ Maxx, and my Just One terri fleece leggings were my go to, but now they are falling down a bit too much. I have yet to find a good pair of maternity leggings, but I'll be sure to let you know when I do. Recs are welcome!


Stay tuned for the next volume of Belly Buds: The Gender Reveal!

11 comments :

  1. I also love pregnancy posts, so yay! And I totally agree about eggs- I'm 14 weeks pregnant with #1 and even the thought of them makes me gag. So gross! I hope you start feeling better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun series; looking forward to the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome!! I love that you get to be belly buds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great! Fun that you're on the same number at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lived in 4th track too. And yes it was a bummer to be far away from everyone else. Unlike you, I knew my roommate since fourth grade and have stayed friends despite being roommates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute idea! I know I appreciated having a friend at the same stage as me last time around (our girls are 1 day apart) - glad you have each other, despite the distance! Also, asparagus (which I normally love) is currently my #1 aversion, I think it's so weird how different bodies want/hate different things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post. I love Lauren's blog - had no idea you were college friends! Love asparagus - cut it up into about 3 pieces per stalk and sauté in a little olive oil and garlic. When it's bright green, squeeze some lemon juice on it and sprinkle a little parmesan on top. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha! I had aversions to eggs with the other two but this time around I love em! So fun, you two!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a cute idea! What a special time as friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun to have a belly buddy! I look forward to reading future installments. :)

    ReplyDelete