Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever


I am no cookie expert, I am not a professional baker, and I have no actual authority in my declaration that these are actually THE best chocolate chip cookies ever. Except that I think they are. Mike is always reserved with his praise, but I feel pretty sure that he thinks so too and the girls have been saying that everything I make is THE BEST of that thing ever, so they cannot really be trusted, but they sure love them.

The fact is, I am really picky about chocolate chip cookies that I like. I hate wasting my time and the calories on a cookie that is flat or hard or over-baked, so I have been working on finding a fail-proof, absolutely awesome recipe so that I won't bake a whole batch ever again and be disappointed.

A while ago I started using THIS RECIPE that was all over Pinterest that has you using 2 teaspoons of corn starch for extra chewiness. It went well the first time, but the second time they turned out flat and not at all like the initial try. I've still stuck with the above linked to recipe since then because it is still the best I have found, but the other day I tweaked it a little and the results were incredible.

I tried the same recipe a second time. Still astounding. I think I have found it: the recipe and some little tricks that I had heard of doing before but never stuck to that will guarantee a fabulous batch of chocolate chip cookies every. single. time. Here you go:

What you'll need:
  • 1/2 cup (one stick) butter at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup vegetable shortening (I have raved about THIS KIND before and it is the brand I used in both of the above mentioned batches, I will probably never use a different kind again)
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons corn starch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (I recommend dark chocolate chips)
Obviously my only deviation from the recipe I linked to above is the use of vegetable shortening, but in my opinion that is the factor that makes these cookies as awesome as they turn out (I do not think you will have the same results if you omit the shortening) that and putting them in the freezer first. AND if you are an anti-shortening person, note that I purposefully use twice the amount of butter and only a little shortening and I also use this Spectrum Organic stuff, so you might feel a little bit better about yourself if you go that route too- I know it makes me feel a bit better.

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350, grease your pan.

2. Cream your butter, shortening and sugars.

3. Add egg and vanilla and mix.

4. Mix the remainder of the ingredients. Stir chips in with a spoon.

5. Spoon balls of dough onto your greased pan, I do at least the size of a golf ball.

6. Then stick the pan with your cookie dough into the FREEZER for 6 to 8 minutes, until your pan is feeling extremely cold and your cookie dough balls have hardened a little.

7. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes until just golden brown around the bottoms of the cookies.

Eat for breakfast, lunch, dinners and snacks.



15 comments :

  1. My most favorite chocolate chip cookie trick is to use bread flour instead of regular flour. Makes for such a delicious and chewy cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to have a cookie bake off in your house, and make yours as well as America's Test Kitchen chocolate chip cookies, and see which one wins, because we think ATK has the BEST ones. You could call it Home Ec with your girls and it would be a homeschooling win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always steer clear of shortening but I'm getting sick of the Nestle Tollhouse (pretend I said that like Phoebe in Friends with a french accent) recipe I've always relied on. I halved it once and put maybe too much vanilla in it and they were total crap. Chocolate chip cookies are seriously the simplest and yet hardest to master.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I have these for breakfast this morning please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please and thank you! Look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you just forget to list the flour in the ingredient list, or are they flourless?
    -Amelia@OneCatholicMama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I kept staring at the list this morning and I knew there was something big missing but I just could not figure it out. #earlymorningblogposts

      Thanks for letting know!

      Delete
  7. It is 8:30 in the morning and all I can think about now is chocolate chip cookies. I MUST MAKE THESE!!! I'm not much of a shortening person myself. I tend to just use more butter. But oddly enough, I have that exact brand of shortening. I'll let you know if I butcher your lovely recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to give it a try - a perennial favorite over here with my boys. I don't use vegetable oil or shortening, so I'm going to sub coconut oil and see what happens. I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is lent. I gave up chocolate. I cannot handle this!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm on the hunt for a tasty good recipe...it sounds like it comes highly recommended, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought that shortening on your recommendation, but I haven't used it yet! Cookie time.

    Also, Mike and I still reference bacon dates very frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe right now, but I might have to try this one to see if it can compete. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. in the middee of making these right now (for St Josephs day!!) and cant stop myself from eating them all.. SOOOO Good! I had to use half butter half coconut oil because there was no more soft butter, and we are super high altitude to i always have to add a bit of extra liquid, and this time i chose chocolate almond milk, (just 4 tbsp) and SUCH a good idea... delish! not that I am trying them all, lent and all. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. in the middee of making these right now (for St Josephs day!!) and cant stop myself from eating them all.. SOOOO Good! I had to use half butter half coconut oil because there was no more soft butter, and we are super high altitude to i always have to add a bit of extra liquid, and this time i chose chocolate almond milk, (just 4 tbsp) and SUCH a good idea... delish! not that I am trying them all, lent and all. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete