Friday, November 14, 2014

7 Quick Takes

Joining Kelly for some quick takes, head over there for lots more Friday fun, and probably fewer complaints about weather!

1) So this happened yesterday:

Since this picture at least a few more inches have fallen. In her excitement Naomi was sure that "it hadn't snowed in YEARS!!". I assured her that it indeed snowed the better part of this past year, and that it will most likely cotinue snowing for many, many more months. Then I went into a corner and wept. Kidding. Not really.

2) As a result of the extremely scewed sense of time in the minds of the resident small people, the excitement over playing in the snow has abounded over the last 2 days. This has resulted in no less than 6 full suit-ups for snow play, each taking at least 30 minutes of prep time and yielding roughly 15 minutes a piece of actual play time and always ending in one or all of the girls screaming about how badly their fingers hurt. At least 3 pairs of mittens are lost under the snow in the back yard and around 20 total cups of hot chocolate have been consumed. It's been great.



3) I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer about the snow, it is pretty it's just that I hate it I'm over it. I had the girls do a snow man craft, which Lucy really nailed:

I read "The Snowy Day" and "The Mitten" and let the girls watch Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer all in the spirit of the First Snow and now I am done. Those were all my fun things having to do with the snow and the reality is that it will be snowing until April- how could that thought NOT make most people at least a little bit depressed?

Wow, 3 quick takes of weather complaints, this blog just reached the heights of horrible. Or wait, can it get worse? Let's talk about sleep training. Yes it can

4) Joseph is still waking up at least a few times a night to cry or eat, but I would say that compared to the hours he clocked in on his first night of training, he is doing a fabulous job. Last night he only fussed for about 30 minutes total, and that was even broken up into several different intervals throughout the night until about 4:30, which happens to be his very worst time of the day.

5) Has anyone else has a baby who gets SUPER gassy and uncomfortable from around 4:30-6:30 a.m.? I know I am casting a very small net here, but I figure it's worth asking. It's rather unfortunate because cry-it-out just does not work when a baby is really, legitimately uncomfortable. The rest of the day he's really fine though, so I am decidedly sure it's not a food allergy. I know it will pass soon, and if 4:30 is my wake time until it does, I should probably just try to embrace some seriously early productivity. But then my name wouldn't be Ana Lazy Hahn.

6) You know else I should do? I should link up with Nell for her week eats link-up. I would be a much more on the ball person if I did, I just don't know if peanut butter and jelly passes for a dinner- does it? I have been really dropping the meal planning ball as of late, it's really bad. It wouldn't be a big deal since Mike and the girls like peanut butter and jelly, but then there are days like today where I don't have all sorts of essentials I need forcing me to make store trips with all 4 in tow in the freezing cold snowy weather today. Oh the looks and the hands full comments, they could not be stopped. Also the number of times Naomi ran into an elderly person- innumerable. I need to meal plan.


7) Picture take. Here's Joseph's morning hair:

A sign of sleeping more than 8 broken hours during the night, say I.
I.

Have a great weekend! 



13 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness, you guys got so much snow - I'm sure the girls loved it. Addie thought we had our "first snow" because of a dusting on the cars - and she was beside herself - but I'm glad we have a few more weeks (I hope) before it really snows.
    And Joseph getting up at 4:30? I don't even remember sleeping patterns (preggo brain?), but too bad I'm not there because I seem to wake up at that time and CAN'T GO BACK TO SLEEP either. So sorry, and glad he's not struggling with the rest of his day.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who resorts to pb&j when I have to ;).
    Hope the weekend gets a tad easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I hear ya on the snow, it's currently snowing here too! I think we just got your storm actually, we're a bit east of you.

    Anyway, I've had babies do the early morning gassy not-happiness thing. Gas drops immediately after the last 2 feeds of the day seem to cut out that tummy discomfort and help them sleep. And if he's started solids (can't remember how old he is, sorry!) then maybe try not doing solids in the evenings. That's all I got, hope one of those helps. Early morning is *not* my best time, no matter how nice it sounds to be productive early the fact is when early comes I just want to stay in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very sorry to hear about your November snow!!! Mike's a teacher, right? There's a very good Catholic college out here in the SoCal area, John Paul II the Great. Maybe he could come teach here! No snow guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chiropractic really helps our babies sleep better, and it eradicates gas too. I believe it helps enough that I dragged a newborn and two other small children to the chiropractor through mounds of snow two mornings a week last winter. For two months. Then we went once a week for a couple of months.

    I hear you on the snow. I don't know how I will get through another Ontario winter. Maybe I can convince my husband to get a self starter put in the van. That would be a perk, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son just started his freshman year at Villanova (after growing up in Georgia!). Last night I got a text entitled: Welcome to the North. And a picture of very snowy ground. He's got a LONG time until spring break!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh! Winter in the Midwest is the pits! There's a reason I moved west and all my mother's hints and entreaties to move back are unheeded. It's odd, because we do get plenty of cold and snow here (including this week with snow and single digit highs), but it's just not as bad here. I guess because there are a lot more breaks? I don't know, but I do know that I avoid the Midwest in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1) #lucywinsatallthecrafts Use it. I'm looking forward to seeing what else she comes up with ;P
    2) This isn't really helpful, but I'm wondering if it's a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance? Prolactin levels (and therefore your milk supply) are lower in the evenings, but higher in the middle of the night (hence why so many women have their fertility return after dropping the MOTN feed). Maybe as your body is building your milk supply back up during that time, it's getting a little outta wack? Sigh. Like I said. Not actually helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would think this is absurd if anyone suggested that I get off milk/lactose (and switch to almond milk) - but it worked for my sister and her baby sleeps a zillion times better now (same age as your baby). To me, life without dairy = steal my happiness.... But it may be worth a few extra zzzz's. Good luck friend. Hope your baby gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And that is why you have to move to Virginia. We had two days this week in the 60s. Full disclosure - it's cold now and we do have frost on our windshields this morning. Leo got incredibly giddy when he saw Joseph's picture by the way. Miss you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I assume he has, but has he been checked for being tongue tied? I know I mentioned my son was super gassy beforw . He was extremely toguebtied, but I had absolutely no trouble nursing. It took a few weeks after the procedure with him to notice a change. My daughter was maybe slightly tied. I had two pediatricians tell me it wasn't necessary. Then, the arching back bouts and screaming sessions started...we switched PEDs for a different reason, but she still recommended it. Again, no problems nursing, but a day after...and she was no longer gassy/fussy/screaming. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, I can't type on my phone. My apologies.

      Delete
  11. A) gassy baby: some nights!!! I have to actually get out of bed with him and do the rocking burp. I'm so so sorry. Our sons are BFFS? b) PBJ definitely counts for the meal linkup. Come on over, babe. c) your son's hair is ridic cutests.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can completely related to the early morning fussiness. It did get better!! He's adorable, prayers for you!!!

    ReplyDelete