Monday, January 26, 2015

"Secret Streaming" {The Office on Netflix}

My senior year of college I had my first encounter with the American Office and I have been hooked ever since. While I own at least 5 of the seasons in a hard DVD form, I have lately gotten into daily "secret streaming" on Netflix, which is the best bad habit I currently have, much more fun than my standard cuticle chewing.

What does "secret streaming" look like? Well, the most common form looks like nap time viewing, always with coffee or some hot beverage:

But other, more sly, forms of secret streaming look like 1) kitchen counter while making cookies with the volume really low,

2) on the dryer whilst doing laundry, since kids are usually doing their own thing, volume can be adjusted,

3) on the leg while nursing, low volume

or 4) on the dresser while curling hair in the morning, as long as I'm not taking embarrassing videos of myself. You get the idea.

I have unfortunately not found a way to do it during our homeschooling time, and I think I will save my brain power for educating the kids rather than trying to figure out how to rig up secret streaming while teaching, I've always been a top notch mom. I have been caught secret streaming on numerous occasions and intensely interrogated by the tiny parties of the house about "what I am watching?!", "why I am laughing???" and "why I get to watch something and they don't??". To which I usually respond with something befitting my awesomeness like "I'll let you watch a show later".

This Monday no amount of coffee is helping me cope, but the Office? Yes, it is helping, it always does.

Favorite quotes include:
 "It's a bold move to Photoshop yourself into a picture with your girlfriend and her kids on a ski trip with their real father. But then again, Michael's a bold guy. [pause] Is bold the right word?"

-Jim
 
"I am fast. To give you reference point I'm somewhere between a snake and a mongoose. And the panther."

-Dwight

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter... who builds stairs."

-Andy

"I declare BANKRUPTCY!!!"

-Michael

"Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist, because... I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones."

-Dwight

And everything "Prison Mike" says.

Favorite episodes:
Diversity Day (Season 1): Michael leads his own diversity celebration meeting and has them each tape a cards to their heads with different races written on them and then has them all treat each other like the written race. Kelly smacks Michael across the face and he cries, it's awesome.

The Injury (Season 2): Michael burns his foot on a George Foreman grill, need I say more?

Beach Games (Season 3): because build up to Jim and Pam getting together is just the best.

Product Recall (Season 3): it may be slightly inappropriate but CRI MAN SQUA F & C DOUBLE TIME is so hilarious and really the whole episode is hysterical.

Honorable mentions:
Booze Cruise (season 2)
Benihana Christmas (season 3)
Benjamin Franklin (season 3)

If you can't tell I really favor season 3, because it happens to be the best season of them all. I felt like the show really went down hill around season 4, and I must confess I totally stopped watching it when Michael Scott left, let's be honest, it's not really the same after that.

I would highly recommend hitting up the first 3 seasons on Netflix Streaming if you never have, it will only make you happy, I promise.

Ok, now it's your turn, make me feel like less of a horrible mother. Do you "Secret Stream"? What's your favorite show? Any tips on being even more stealthy? You know you want to share. 

I am a part of the Netflix Stream Team and have included them in this post, which I will be doing monthly as a part of the team. However, this is a show I dearly love, so it works out well.

18 comments :

  1. I love that you devoted a post to my fave show ever. Seasons 1-3 are definitely theeee best. I'd also add Conflict Resolution (season 2) to your list because of all the pranks that Jim pulled on Dwight.

    "I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% sure." -Dwight, obvs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAhaha, I LOVE the Ben Franklin one and YES conflict resolution-so good!!

      Delete
  2. I may have to try some secret streaming, but I'll probably have to turn on the subtitles because my kids hear like bats...that got bitten by a radioactive spider...seriously, their hearing is really good. Any volume on the tv at all and they run from wherever they are in the house to watch House Hunters with me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, bat ears, mine do too, but probably not as strong- I can barely hear it when I am streaming, but since I've watched the first 3 seasons so many time, I know what they're saying half the time anyways... I have a problem.

      Delete
  3. I thought I couldn't love a show as much as The Office, but then I got hooked on Parks and Rec. The first season is okay, but the next several are hilarious and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the first 3 seasons of Parks and Rec too, so good!!

      Delete
  4. I'm laughing to myself just reading your recaps of the episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I "secret stream" without knowing that is what it was called. Way cooler to have a title. And may I add my favorite Office quote, "Math is hard." - Holly to Kevin (when they made her think he was MR).

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE The Office and will never get tired of watching it! I agree the later seasons aren't as good but the Threat Level Midnight one is pretty great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The office is my favorite show of all time! It is hilarious and amazing. I stopped watching when Michael Scott left too but when the final season came on Netflix, I wanted to see how they ended it. Those final seasons were completely awful but the last episode was pretty good. :)

    I'll have to try this secret streaming now that I have a tablet!! :)

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love The Office! I've heard the original British version is really good too. I have to say season 4 wasn't too terrible, it has some of the best Pam and Jim moments...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the British Office too! I am always wary to recommend it because it is a bit more inappropriate, but so so funny!!

      Delete
  9. "Would I rather have people fear me, or love me? Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me." -Michael

    We love the show all the way through to the end. It's definitely a challenge after Michael leaves but they end season 9 the way a show should be ended.

    My favorite episode might be Safety Meeting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, that quote made me LOL like crazy. So great.

      Delete
  10. My fave is Phyllis. Everything about her.

    I am unable to secret stream, so I wait for the Littles to fall asleep. On really, really bad nights when my hubby is traveling, I warn them not to set foot from their room unless they want to be locked in (did it once until they fell asleep, now the warning works every time, but I was right by the door in case there was an emergency because I was terrified they would spontaneously combust or something...they didn't). My current obsession is Agatha Christie's Poirot. Next I am going to watch Sherlock.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm currently hooked on Friends, since Neflix released al 10 seasons over Christmas. My 18-year old decided to start watching from the beginning, so we all watched with him and now that he's gone back to college, I feel the need to finish up! Loved that show when it was on and now I'm hooked again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Friends and LOVE that you are watching it with yours kids, your coolness level just went way up, and it was already pretty high :)

      Delete