Tuesday, April 28, 2015

My 5 All-Time Favorite TV Shows {Netflix #StreamTeam}


It is no coincidence that my 5 all time favorite shows just happen to be available to stream on Netflix... wait yes it is, it's a coincidence. Nevertheless, I just discovered this fact the other day and it was quite timely since Mike is going to be holing up for the next year to finish his dissertation and I am going to need some personal diversion of the television sort so as to refrain from simply blogging your face off every single night in my lonely state.

Without further adu, here are my 5 all-time favorite television shows listed from least to most favorite.

5) Mad Men. While this may be a tad controversial in some groups due to all the infidelity and sex and cheating and sex and other stuff and then more sexy type stuff, but I promise, that is NOT all that the show is. If you want a whole lot more information on the show, I would hit up Christy because she has got you covered on all things Mad Men. Trust me when I tell you that it is a great show with great characters and you should not base all your opinions on the first few episodes, which incidentally have quite a bit of sexy content in them.

4) The Office (UK version). I have never seen Ricky Gervais be as funny anywhere as he is in the British office. While the supporting characters add a great amount of humor to the American Office, I would say that Ricky pretty much IS the British Office, and he is so SO hilarious in it. I am hoping that Mike will agree to watch this again with me in honor of our upcoming 7th anniversary, since the first time we watched it was on our honeymoon, because we know romance.

3) Arrested Development. This show is quirky, hilarious has so many great characters and it just never gets old to watch. It is a definite go-to for me if I am ever in a really bad funk or feeling down-- it's a better pick-me-up than a cocktail, although I would recommend both for maximum happiness.

2) The Office (US version). I have blogged enough about this, I think. Seasons 1-3 have my heart forever and always.

1) Breaking Bad. No shame in my Walter White loving game. I love this show so much. After Mike and I finished it when the series finale aired we went right ahead and started the whole series over again and it was better than the first time through. It is a super intense show, and not for everybody, so this is NOT a solicitation for every person in the world to get on the Breaking Bad train, simply an excited declaration of my own love of the show. However, even though I love it, I don't think I could ever watch it solo, so I think I will be sticking with my trusty humorous ones listed above throughout the next year. Lastly, if you need a couple good reads on why liking Breaking Bad does not actually make you a bad person/Catholic/Christian go HERE and HERE.

Some other honorable mentions from Netflix streaming are: Friends- we are slowly making our way through it now and since neither Mike or myself ever watched when it was on back in the day, we are thoroughly enjoying it. Also Park and Rec, I do really like the first 3 seasons, but as it goes on I like it less and less for various reasons but I need not go into that.

So that's that, and as always I am open to hearing about new great shows from all of you!


11 comments :

  1. Sherlock! It's on Netflix and it's really well-made and entertaining. I've re watched every episode several times. (I also have a place in my heart for Star Trek: The Next Generation even though it is much more cheaply made and the episodes are incredibly formulaic.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second Sherlock!

      I have a deep love for British and Colonial accents and am a sucker for any show with them: Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries are my current obsession. Set in the 1920s, in Australia. Semi-sexy. Gorgeous costumes, delicious accents, not too gory murders. Have you watched "Agatha Christie's Poirot"? Also British and and fantastic.

      Delete
    2. We love Sherlock, it is so so good! I just wish there were more of them!

      Delete
  2. If you're an office/parks and rec/30 rock fan, watch The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It is so cute and fun and uplifting with that same quirky humor of the other shows! I'm sad there are only 13 episodes and hope they come out with more soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the second recommendation I've gotten for that one, I will definitely be checking it out, thank you!

      Delete
  3. You know me, spreading my Mad Men obsession wherever I go... ;) We also just did a podcast where we talked to Kathryn for over an hour about Mad Men, just Mad Men. It's like geek heaven, if you're interested.

    I'm currently rewatching Arrested, because aren't I always rewatching Arrested Development? That can't be good...

    I know Parks and Rec goes downhill, but I still have such a fierce and loyal love for it that I pretty much cried during it's last episode a couple months ago. And Breaking Bad...yeah...so amazing. I really enjoyed Better Call Saul too, I'm not sure when that comes to Netflix but when it does, give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends is my all-time favorite and I watched every episode when it was actually on TV. When Netflix released all 10 seasons over Christmas, my 18-year old went on a binge marathon while home from college and we had so much fun watching it together! Love that show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the Office, Parks and Rec (currently rewatching it, again), Arrested, and Friends! When you're ready for something new, you might like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, 30 Rock, and New Girl–Joe and I both really like them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want something with anti-plot....Cupcake Wars? Sigh. They sadly don't have Fixer Upper on Netflix...I loved it during our 3 week hotel living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am such the sucker for Cupcake Wars on Netflix! I thought they recently added Fixer Upper to the list, though?

      Delete