Tuesday, June 23, 2015

School Room Reveal!

There may be no "room reveal post" in existence that is as anti-climactic as this one is about to be, both because of the lack of build up, and the fact that the room is not really very revamped- only slightly. However, I always feel the need to pepper the blog with the tiny bits of home-renovation material that I gather, since we do very little by way of making our home Pinteresting, and we're fairly happy to decorate entirely with items purchased from yard sales and thrift stores.

So for fun, let me show you a little picture of what our basement family room/school area looked like when we moved into this house:

Then Mike and my dad worked their behinds off and made it into this:
A vast improvement!


On the other side of the room is the "home school area", which was a little bit limiting (teeny tiny table and chairs), and a lot un-cute (all school stuff stuffed into my sewing desk), and has been for the last few years, which was ok because I was doing pre school and kindergarten, aka, Little Einsteins.

However, now that we're moving to 1st grade, my stress levels at the thought of more legit home schooling have been, um, high, but the thought of a semi-cuter home school area sweetened the deal in my head greatly. After eying up a yard sale table that had been sitting in our garage, ready to be given to Goodwill, and scheming about whether to sand and stain it, and then settling on painting it, but debating over whether to go with brown or white or red, I finally took the plunge and the result is this:


After many days of this:

(Mom knee deep in painting project + 4 kids home most of the day = neglect neglect and more neglect.)

But I finally prevailed!


I found some solid wood chairs at a near by store that sells old furniture from buildings on Notre Dame's campus that have upgraded their furnishings, they were $5 a piece.

And repaid Lucy with lots of one-on-one time during the girls' VBS and let her have her way with the their school things without having to share:

Another before:
And after:

I made the fabric circles on the wall and the coordinating cork board on the other side.

The stencils on the table and chairs did not turn out great, which was entirely due to the fact that I just went for it without practicing on anything, I'm a smart one, I am.

But! My practice on the table and chairs made for perfection on the book shelves, and I learned a valuable lesson.

I am glad to have a desk that has a tiny bit more space to move around and stitch a thing or two on occasion, and a table that can hold all the beads in the world, and occasional school things. Now I am glad to be done, with the project and with this post, although certainly not as glad you!

20 comments :

  1. Oh my gosh those chairs hold such a special place in my heart. So many hours studying in one of those bad boys. They look much cuter painted! Good work, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness... love this! The white and stenciling are soooo pretty! And ditto Tara's comment. :-) Ohhhh...memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness... love this! The white and stenciling are soooo pretty! And ditto Tara's comment. :-) Ohhhh...memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness... love this! The white and stenciling are soooo pretty! And ditto Tara's comment. :-) Ohhhh...memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! It looks like a great space for learning to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks wonderful. My oldest is starting first grade this year too, and I'm having some of the anxiety about moving to for real, for REAL school. We are building a house which won't be done until at least mid-September, so I have no idea where I'll be doing school until I can get it set up :)
    And P.S. I have fabric circles just like those on the walls in all of my girls' bedrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. White was a great choice! It looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ana, you did an absolutely beautiful job! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! I am with you on the "just go for it" stencil. Practice may make perfect, but it also makes L-O-N-G-E-R!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute room! I thought those chairs looked familiar- many a late night studying in those- they look sooooo much better your way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute, white is becoming my favorite color! It will make you feel better when sitting there with your kids doing their schoolwork. Very much relate to the "neglegent mom doing a painting project" thing as I just finished a bathroom remodel while my husband and older boys were at camp and I just had the younger two at home (and my own parents' help, because I couldn't install a floor by myself to save my life). We went to the video store a lot that week, BUT bathroom is awesome! Need to do a post about it while it's still fairly clean...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! It looks so nice! It must feel great to have more pretty and usable space in your home, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it :) I can't believe this all happened so fast since we talked at the park! Also - the office in my nesting mind's daydreams has a white painted desk and fabric circles so hopefully my lack of skills can carry it out at least a little bit like yours. And I didn't know that the basement was unfinished when you bought the place! So impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you did a great job, the schoolroom looks so cute! The stenciling on the table and chairs looks good to me too! What a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great job! Is that a roll of something like carpet pad to the left of the stairs in the 3rd picture from the top? at first glance, I thought it was a life sized statue of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. haaa!! I was thinking, "Wow, that is taking Catholic to a whole new level....they have life sized saint statues in their house!" :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute!! What a fun school setting. And I love the picture of Lucy sitting on her knees on the chair. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks so good! I bet the girls are loving it!

    ReplyDelete