Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A Gender Reveal (after a long pointless story)

Pregnancy is so tricky. 15 weeks came and I was sure I was in the clear with crazy debilitating nausea, but then 16.5 weeks hit and it was back in full force, kicking my butt and ravaging my home yet again. Here we are now at 18 weeks and I am foolishly hopeful that maybe,  just maybe, I will see some sweet relief in the next few weeks. But again, I'm foolish so... Anyways! How about a funny story? Ok, it's not funny, it's only embarrassing for me and really it's just little mom-fession for you before we get to the juicy stuff.

Like I said, pregnancy nausea has been the worst this time around and lasting longer than I remember in the past, but I promise that is NOT a complaint because I am not vomiting all the time, and I know that compared to so many I have it way easy, I'm just setting up the story. So I feel sick most of the time, but it's way worse when I don't eat, because SURPRISE! I'm just like every other pregnant woman that ever lived.

Yesterday, I took the girls to their Monday afternoon ballet class, during which I just sit and wait for about an hour-and-a-half total, because Lucy's class is first, then the older girls. Anyways, I'm usually smart enough to grab a snack before I leave because I know my ravenous pregnant self, but this time I was being all productive and forgot.

As soon as we got to the class and I immediately started feeling starved. It had been at least a couple hours since my last snack, and I was staring down 1.5 more before I could find any other food, which in pregnant appetite time is like, 12 million years. I started to panic, drooling at little kids' snack cups wondering if they would noticed if I just grabbed a quick handful of their cheerio and raisin mix. They all seemed really attached to their cups so I resolved to feeling awful and maybe needing to run to the ballet school toilet to vom before we left.

But then the most gloriously awful thing happened.

A little girl's parents gave her a quarter to get some Chewy Sprees from the candy machine, the only source of food in the waiting room (you better believe I had already scoured my wallet for quarters, there were none). So the girl gets her share of candy, which the mother complained about being a rip off because it was only 3 pieces- it was, indeed, a rip off. We laughed and I stared at her Sprees with only the littlest bit of envy.

Then little Joe decided he wanted candy and went over and started banging on the candy machine to try to get some, but I informed him we would not be getting any because of the dearth of quarters in my purse. But THEN! He wiggled the handle juuuust right and out fell 5 more chewy Sprees. Never had any food looked so good in my life, and Joe promptly picked up 2 and shoved them in him mouth. The parents of the little girl noticed that they were probably the remnant of their child's candy, which the machine failed to spit out, but they told their child that she couldn't have them, probably because they were on the dirty floor.

Let it be known, dirty floors mean nothing to the starving pregnant lady-- NOTHING!
I sneakily snatched up the last 3 Sprees without Joseph seeing them, and pretended to throw them away, and then..............

I ate them.

I shoved the dirty Sprees into my starving mouth and ate them. Without shame.

Ok with some shame because I felt the need to sneak it, I mean, I was technically stealing candy from a child, which was on a very dirty floor and eating out of sheer desperation. New lows come when you're least expecting them.

Have I made you wait long enough? Want to know what we're having??

It's a.............


nother........................................



Feeling like just about the most blessed lady in all the land. Joseph will not be entirely inundated with all-things-lady after all. Praise be!

25 comments :

  1. Yay!! Another sweet little boy for you! Congrats! And, yes, I have eaten many a snack from the floor! AND taken things from my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just screamed out loud! Joseph's BFF is in your belly!!! Ahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I totally would have eaten those without a doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHHH!!!! So, so exciting! I love that he'll have a brother :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh that made me laugh so hard! And yay!!!! Brothers!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for a set of brothers!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Son, you made mama crazy!

    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woooo!!! (and best story ever)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!!! We're having a boy too, due May 31st. He will be our first, after 3 girls :) And I just love that you told that story. Awe.some.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay!!!!! And no judgement AT ALL for eating the Sprees

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woo woo! So exciting! Sorry you're so sick! And sprees off the floor or not are yum ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats!!! So funny about the food! Been there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! And I totally would have eaten them too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha! That's hilarious! No judgement, I once ate something off a train floor out of sheer exhaustion...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woo hoo! This news makes me so happy. Joe will have to teach his little bro those vending machine moves.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on another sweet boy!! And your story is hilarious, it made me think of that Friends episode with the cheesecake that Rachel and Chandler eat off the floor haha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm embarrassed to say I only have two kids right now but I think I've already reached that level of letting them eat stuff off the floor. I can only go downhill so far and then I'll plateau, right? ...Right? Basically, what I'm saying is I totes would've done the same thing in your shoes. So excited for your growing family; congrats (especially to Joseph!) on the little man!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Girl, I feel you. Nausea can prevent you from functioning and with other little ones who rely on you it makes the days long. Praying for a swift ride too the third trimester;) Congratulations! Life with boys is quite a wonderful adventure.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. BAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I think I may feel like we're bestirs after that story....so glad I'm not the only one who does things like that! 😂

    And SOOO excited for Hahn boy #2!!! Boys are awesome! We need a little pink in our lives over here though!😉

    We live SO close, we should get together for a play date soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ana - just found your blog and I'm loving it! Especially your old post (It's ok to want more kids) about desiring to be a wife and mother above all. Thank you thank you thank you for that and for validating this Catholic woman's sanity!

    I am currently pregnant with my first (15 weeks) and I am SO very nauseous/sick all day. I'm one of the lucky ladies who pukes multiple times a day every day. Womp. But I have to say that reading your posts is such an encouragement, especially the joy you have despite the challenges of pregnancy. How blessed your husband and children are to have you!

    Congratulations on another perfect boy!

    ReplyDelete