Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Highs and Lows

It is Wednesday so I think that should be a high in itself because the week is half way over and I'm not dead! Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!!

High: 
I am giving myself a great big electronic pat on the back right now because I successfully completed the clothing swap for the three girls yesterday and since I had already done Freddie's a couple weeks ago due to his weed-like growth that means I have ONE child left to do and that ain't no thang especially after the mammoth feat of doing the girls. Included in this is the site SWAP.com that I discovered while pregnant with Fred which is basically the best (read: cheapest) online consignment I have found and is still legit. I got Naomi's entire fall wardrobe yesterday for an even $60-- I'll keep you updated as to the quality of it all when it arrives, but when I ordered some maternity stuff a few months ago I was very pleased. This is not-at-all sponsored, just a friendly recommendation.

Low: 
I was of course being dramatic per the usual about not being dead yet, but this week, or almost 2 weeks now, have been their own breed of difficult due to a fierce case of croup that has being going through our house. Bernadette got it first in time for her birthday and then gifted it to her siblings, she obviously doesn't understand the  birthday gift giving concept. So far it has spared Fred, which is the most important thing for sure, but poor Joe has it and has nearly no voice at all and almost throws up every time he coughs. So sad.

High: 
Over the last few months every time I make oatmeal for the kids and there are leftovers I attempt to use the leftovers to make muffins instead of throwing them away (she's a veritable Ma Ingalls, that Ana), and yesterday I found THE recipe.

These are for real the best muffins ever. I found the recipe HERE but I used butter in place of oil- always a really good bet- and I left out the raisins because my kids hate raisins in things. I have to just throw them at the kids in my attempt to not eat them all myself. Give them a try, you will not be let down!

Low: 
I am currently in the throes of trying desperately to sleep train Fred the teeniest tiniest bit because he is my worst sleeper thus far, and after Joe I didn't think that was possible. I don't even feel like I need big chunks of sleep at night, I just need to have an ending point to my day. I think the last three nights have seen him not going to sleep for the night until well after 10:30 and most of that time is spent with me walking him, bobbing him and basically dying inside because I just want to be DONE! Prayers and advice accepted And appreciated!

High:
Lucy's birthday is this Saturday and she is my nicest child with regards to loving when I make her clothing, it's really sweet and affirming for me. I made the girls matching skirts a while ago and she always gets so excited to wear hers because "mama made it for ME!". So a couple weeks ago my mom sent me some super cute Pottery Barn curtains that were too short for all of our windows and I had dreams of sewing her a birthday skirt with the fabric BUT there was the issue of Fred never sleeping + neeidng me to hold him 24/7, which makes using the sewing machine a tad hard. However, today he slept just long enough for me to stitch this little cutie and it was so lovely to sew just a little:

Low: 
The verdict about my teeth came in last week and I have an extended dental date early next week for my very first crown. This is really a low and a high because I was so super thrilled at my appointment that they did not think I needed a root canal, which I was previously pretty sure I would need, so I will take the lone crown (+ 4 subsequent fillings, but that can be for another high-low day).

Ending on a High:
Right after we moved here a lady from the chamber of commerce came and gave us a bunch of coupons to local hot spots to welcome us to the town. When I say "hot spots" I mean some decent places, some total dives, but I don't really care when it comes to free stuff because Cheap is my middle name. One of the coupons is for a free haircut at a place called "Hair Station", which in itself made me a little skeptical plus this is the picture on the front:

I was thinking of holding off for a while but then I hit the hormonal point postpartum where ALL YOUR HAIRS FALL OUT ALL AT ONCE and my hair has gotten pretty long and it is all over our house so I am just going for it at Hair Station. It's highly likely that I'll come out looking like so:

But I don't even care if I do, I have an appointment this Friday and I am honestly so excited to have an hour to myself and have someone do something for me, I'll keep you all abreast of the outcome.


***Bonus High***
While I was writing this Fred woke up from a nap and put himself back to sleep!!!!!!!!!!
That's all for now!

15 comments :

  1. This may sound terrible, but I really enjoyed getting my crown. I got to sit in a chair, without my children, and had lots of laughing gas which was just . . . Lovely. I listened to the Catholic guy podcast and was laughing at everything he said. I was very sorry when it was over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may sound really terrible but that sounds AMAZING! I'm actually a little excited now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, they give you a fully loaded iPad with wifi and dim the lights slightly. It's basically an expensive and orally-focused spa treatment.

      Also, RE: Fred, earplugs.

      Signed,

      Heartless

      Delete
    2. Ok, I'm officially *looking forward* to this now- you guys are the best!

      Delete
    3. P.s. Jenny, fav part of the 2 story house tonight was not hearing him, I'm the meanest.

      Delete
  3. Hooray for not as awful a dental experience as you were expecting! :)

    I'm trying gear up for "the big switcheroo" as I call it with the kids' clothes as well. So far 1/4 is done. The other 3...are making due by laying summer clothes and adding legging. No joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is all they were doing! I would've held off longer but VA has much cooler fall so far than they are used to-- good luck with your switch!

      Delete
  4. Maybe I just don't remember with my other pregnancies but after this last one the hair shedding is just NUTS. It is everywhere and gets all over the baby when I hold her- I probably go to mass every Sunday with strands all over my back, I don't even bother to check anymore.
    Also, I had a crown several years ago and don't remember it being too bad- like Ann-Marie said, laughing gas and being sans kids is a pretty nice combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO bad!! I feel likes it gotten worse with each kid too, for sure.

      Delete
  5. Hair Station! Living on the edge!! I'm sure you'll look cute as ever, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I should live tweet it, it could be quite the experience 😅

      Delete
  6. I may just need to go point-by-point here: 1) can't wait to get home and try that website 2) We also have croup over here and it's HORRIBLE - solidarity 3) Thanks for the muffin recipe, because were hurting for "normal" food stuffs and I'm having to learn how to cook all over again, BUT you can get 4lbs+ of oats for $2, so I'm obviously leaning heavy on it 4) Lucy is such a 3rd child with her enthusiasm for individual attention/favors and you are basically Maria VonTrapp with your curtain to clothing abilities, and BONUS) All just another reminder of how much I miss you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Might get tested for pertussis. Throwing up and coughing? Dangerous to friends with young babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There isn't actually any throwing up, just a very intense cough. They are all up to date with their vaccinations against pertussis, and with a 3-month-in the house I would not mess around with that if I thougt it was a possibility, but it's not.

      Delete
  8. Very excited to hear/see how things went for you at the Hair Station! Please do a post!

    ReplyDelete