Sunday, October 9, 2016

sunday (sc)ramble

Linking up with Kelly for some very late quick takes! Here we go!

1) I feel like most people have much more exciting weekends than me and approach them like "Oh yay! Now I can have lots of quality family time or catch up on some good reading!" Whereas I am generally like, "yay! I have so much more time to waste on the internets!" I did my duty and got our family out and about a little the last 2 weekends, but the kids were plagued with some croup virus all week that is still hanging around, so low key Magic School Bus and Internet surfing filled weekend it has been.

2) We have this pretty fabulous giant wrap around porch that I just need to sing the praises of for a quick second because it has been a life saver since moving. The previous owners had a dog and I'm pretty sure that's why they did this, but they have a little gate that hooks right into the railings and closes in the entire porch, creating a sort of outdoor oversized roofed play pen and it is the kids favorite.

We also have a beautiful huge yard but they prefer to be in their little dog house shouting loudly with their tiny riding toys any day of the week, much to the chagrin of our neighbors to be sure. Plus we have this nice little view that I can sit and stare at from the porch so I'm not complaining.


3)  Like everything else in the world of trendy and hip (flip phones forEVER!) I am working it like the 90-year-old grandma I am and coming in as late as I can to the 3 Fictional Characters To Describe Yourself game. It really was quite difficult to come up with these, but I finally did it:

Weezer from Steel Magnolias, (watch that video in the link and you'll understand) Annie Walker from Bridesmaids and Julia from The Wedding Singer.

4) The great thing about these choices is that-- completely by chance-- the significant others of the these fictional characters happen to fit Mike pretty perfectly:

Owen Jenkins, Robbie Hart, and Rhodes
He was not consulted in this selection.

5) I read Jenny's post on THM the other day and for a split second thought that I maybe, just maybe, I should revise my eating habits a tad. The method seems super legit and healthy and since I've pretty much been doing my typical half-assed weight watchers plan and seeing sloooow results, I'm thinking maybe. But here's the thing: do I have to add collagen to everything? Do I need to invest in the various add-ons (nutritional yeast?) and can I really not eat Reese's cup under *any* circumstances? It seems like maybe it's too much for me.

6) I think that I finished the 30 Day Shred, but I lost track of counting how many days I've done it and I am just going to keep on doing level 3 until I can do it like the advanced girl (cuz you know I've been doing those push ups with my knees firmly planted on the ground) and then I will switch it up. Start to finish it helped me knock of about 13 pounds, but there are still so many to go. Christy hit me up with this recommendation for HIIT workouts, which I get a lot of results from. Tell my what you do within the confines of your home! 

7) Freeeeeeeeeed!

I'll spare you any more, for now. ;)

11 comments :

  1. I've been doing thm about 3 months and it's pretty doable. I eat whatever I want (including Reese's cups) one meal a week and I feel good about that. You definitely don't need all the extras - stuff for sweetening, almond and coconut flour are necessary -but I really like collagen and nutritional yeast are helpful. I really like the blended fruit drinks since I quit my beloved Dr Pepper. I feel better, and I'm back to pre pregnancy weight, although I'd like to get to pre baby 1 weight lol. I could probably lose weight faster but I eat a lot of what I enjoy, including dairy, and I'm glad to be healthier and feeling like this is sustainable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is all so good to know as I mull over it- I always like WW bc I can just eat what I have and count points, but there's a good bit of feeling hungry involved...

      Delete
  2. I currently have a 6 week old and last fall before becoming pregnant, I did THM for about a month and lost 12 pounds! And, I loosely followed it during pregnancy due to GD. So now I'm like, yeh, I need to lay off the frosted brown sugar pop tarts and everything apples and pumpkin and start THM again....maybe come January! But, I did THM with only the sweeteners and baking mix (or flax meal, coconut flour), and Joseph's Pitts purchased at Walmart. I didn't do any other speciality foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 12 in a month?! I am nearly sold just based on that!

      Delete
  3. I hear you! I like to spend my free time catching up on my blog reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hal so glad I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  4. You can totally do THM without the special stuff! I did it for a few weeks without any special ingredients, then ended up getting collagen (soooo freaking good for my skin/hair/nails besides being filling) and some of their sweeteners, which was totally worth it in my opinion. Then I got pregnant and dropped the ball but I'm totally picking back up again in December when baby gets here. I also love Lily's chocolate bars (because they actually taste like real candy) and Zevia drinks (because my Diet Coke obsession needed a replacement).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm mostly worried that if I do it I will *want* all the special stuff and it will just be a total financial suck, is the stuff pretty pricy?

      Delete
  5. I bought the THM book (and cookbook) a few weeks ago, and finally opened the book after reading Jenny's post. I've been exercising a few times a week for the last two months, and although I am much stronger, the scale hasn't moved much and the clothes aren't all that much looser, so I figure it's time to up my food game. Or to start some sort of food game. Same-same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it the lamest that working out doesn't just do the work in its own? I feel like if we actually get to our workouts we should be rewarded with delicious food!

      Delete
  6. I have (sort of) been doing THM for about 8 weeks after my husbands mom and sister both lost over 25 pounds on it. It does work. There are alot of good recipes to choose from that don't include special ingredients. I did get my own vanilla protein powder and the super sweet blend(which I have laid off after reading some scary things about stevia causing infertility....I know it has been "proven" safe but I'm paranoid and just opt to use honey splenda in moderation) but other than that just normal grocery stuff. The Strawberry cheesecake shake is awesome! You look great, though. And your kids are super cute!

    ReplyDelete