Monday, October 1, 2012

Nailed it

Since being bitten by the nesting bug, I have all but given up all other forms of domestic recreation-- other than cleaning-- particularly in the form of making new good meals/baking tasty desserts/dressing myself in decent attire (Naomi looked at me today and said "mommy, are you all dressed in your rags?"- aka maternity sweat pants).

I haven't wanted to put forth too much effort, particularly in the kitchen because I don't want it to get dirty. Therefore, I just try not to make any messes with, you know, good cooking or baking. Luckily I have a husband who is fine with eating spaghetti on Monday, leftover spaghetti on Tuesday and Wednesday.... burritos on Thursday and leftover burritos for the rest of the week. That being said, I decided to go crazy tonight since it is my favorite Saint and my eldest daughter's name Saints' feast day and make something that we don't eat 3+ times a week every week AND that tastes good! PLUS a shnazzy dessert to go with it. I have to say that life does not seem so hard and all together difficult when you are eating something that you actually enjoy. I am being hard on myself, my burritos are really good...

I went real big tonight and made what I have discovered to be quite possibly the very best chicken I have ever tasted. The thing is, it is just the recipe on the back of the Bisquick box. (**note, I am not being paid by Bisquick to tell you about this, however if you know anyone who works for Bisquick, please tell them I would be more than happy to advertise for them in exchange for free goods).

I will just go ahead and share the recipe in case you happen to have the generic store brand baking mix or only half a bag sitting in the pantry because you threw the box away to save space, I would not want those of you to miss out on this goodness:

3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2/3 cup Bisquick baking mix
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 egg, slightly beaten
3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
Throw all the dry ingredients into a bag and mix around.
Here's the best part: all you have to do is toss the chicken in the egg mixture, put in the the bag with the dry stuff and go a little nuts coating in and then DUMP in onto a sprayed pan. Drizzle with butter. And bake. So easy and sooooooooooogood. 

I topped tonight's feast off with a special feast day apple pie complete with homemade crust. HOMEMADE CRUST. Sorry, I didn't know if you heard that. 

I didn't have shortening so I found this recipe for an all-butter crust. Now I am just sitting here wondering why the H anyone would ever use anything else but butter?? Is there an answer to that? This was seriously the best pie crust I have ever tasted. Maybe I just haven't eaten anything good in a while.
I just feel awesome. I am off to eat some pie. 
Adios from Bored Eater and Crazy Eyes McGee. 





12 comments :

  1. Naomi's expression in this photo made me burst out laughing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I wish I could pie. All my attempts End Very Badly. And not even "Well, it's looks horrible, but it still tastes fine". Oh no. Just Very. Badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *make pie
      I also wish I could proofread my comments before hitting "publish"

      Delete
    2. FWIW, I liked "pie" used as a verb. You know...for future reference.

      Delete
    3. I was just about to comment and say the same thing, Dwija. Cari, I will teach you to pie some day.

      Delete
  3. So, oh my gosh, how can you make everything so dang entertaining? And why don't we hang out more often? As in more than the zero times we have thus far?

    It's a crying shame.

    Make me pie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pie!!!
    Thanks for sharing the chicken recipe too. :)
    Naomi's face, bahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that last photo! I, too have trouble pie-ing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree...why do people use shortening for anything they could use butter in? I don't want an answer to that question. I try to live by this, and no I am not ashamed. =). Your pie looked amazing and Happy Feast Day (a little late!) I myself had a delicious chocolate tart as part of my celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Butter makes everything better. Butter and bacon.

    I've never made homemade crust, you have been elevated in my book. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ladies, I would just like to attest that I saw Ana this morning, following last night's amazing feats, and she still looked amazing, her children were fully dressed and happy, and she was bubbly and arranging play dates. The above feast-creating (and not to mention the cleaning) would have taken it out of me for a week while NOT pregnant. Oh Ana, I bow down!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish someone would teach me to "pie". I love baking. I make cakes, brownies, bread, etc. But pie crust intimidates the you-know-what out of me. I have no idea why. I will tackle the most complicated dinner recipe (I'm a totall foody), but I have yet to ever make pie. Go figure. But YUM!! It looked amazing.

    ReplyDelete