Friday, November 30, 2012

Reality

I woke up the this morning the same way I have almost every morning since Lucy's birth: yesterday's mascara smeared under my eyes because, once again, I did not wash my face before bed the night before.

Sick, I know.

Why would you not even take a few minutes to do such an easy, hygienic, thing Ana? The answer is that I have put Lucy to sleep in the moby wrap nearly every night since her birth and in order to get her to stay asleep I need to gingerly take her out of it and then lay right next to her and go to sleep myself. Pathetic? Yes. Very. But this is a phase and I know it will pass.
A typical Ana sighting these days

I am not a huge baby-wearing advocate, but I am a huge not-hearing-baby-cry-any-more-than-I-need-to advocate, and it's too early to have her cry it out. Hence the baby-wearing.

I am also not a huge co-sleeping advocate (not even close). But I am a huge get-as-much-sleep-as-I-possibly-can-even-if-that-means-sleeping-right-next-to-baby-for-months advocate. Hence the co-sleeping.

And another thing. By the time I get a basket of laundry folded and put away there are always 4 more waiting to be done. I have cleaned ONE, count em, ONE toilet ONE time since Lucy's birth and only because the stank was that bad. Resembling something close to one of those out door gas station bathrooms that the owners have clearly forgotten all about. There are still bags of baby crap from the hospital lying around. I've lost my temper approximately 1324 times since coming home from the hospital at my toddlers. Yes, lost my temper at my toddlers. A lot. I have cried probably the same amount.

Why the H am I telling you all this?

I've gotten a lot of sweet comments from lovely readers, some even indicating that I have it all together and I love the sweet comments- in fact, keep them coming, between those and the wine, I should be able to get through the next few months. But please know that I have taken nary a full length picture without wearing my trusty spanx. And the only reason I make it out of the house with all 3 girls to the store or where ever is because I rely heavily on social interaction to not really go crazy and if I stay in the house for too long I start to get anxious and weepy- a lovely result of the ever-fluctuating hormones.
Rapidly inhaling the second half of the creamer bottle

I realize I have basically been doing outfit posts or quick takes almost exclusively since the third babe came, and this is because of a few things a) I pretty much never am not holding a baby b) I don't want to just complain about how hard things are with 3 kids and c) my brain is on its lowest level of functioning, which inevitably results in the dumbest ideas ever for blog posts. I've bounced a couple off of Mike and gotten many a blank stare or just "no, that's not funny, don't do that".

I am giving myself a solid year to get things together, then I will be pounding out the old original, awesome funny material you're used to. I don't know whose blog I am talking about, I clearly don't read my own enough.

Alright, that's enough reality for today.

22 comments :

  1. Agreeeeee. Way to blog yo. I could really relate x1000000. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't find any grammar errors! You have cheered me up, strangely. Even without 3 babes and being postpartum.... I have had moments where I have been home-bound for wayyyyy to dang long and I just turn into a temperamental and unhappy/weepy person. You are doing great in my book, and you also help me know that if I'm not feeling like a queen bee when I'm postpartum...well that's pretty normal =). That will make things much more tolerable, just knowing that. I love your honesty LOTS! And I think you're doing great--I should probably buy some wine before my due date inches any closer, shouldn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty sure I've cleaned one toilet one time (before Grace came...anything for you, girl!) since we moved in. Which was a long time before Lucy arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Invest in some face wipes. It will help with the makeup removal and make you feel better in about 3 seconds flat. Seriously, I love and appreciate your honesty. I'm sure I'll be referring back to this post when this baby comes, to know that I'm not alone in the chaos! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there, Ana! 3 kids can be challenging, but it's the 3 little kids (baby & toddlers) that can be really tough-- so many needs!

    My kids are 1, 2 1/2, & 5 now. My advice on getting through the first year with three kids would be to learn to say no (no extras that you can't handle) & lower your expectations (way low). My house scarily resembles my hubby's old frat house because the kids are always destroying something & I never get a chance to clean, but I know it's just temporary. It gets easier every day & 3 kids is actually a lot of fun.

    Continue to do whatever works. You sound like you're in a better place than I was last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have BEEN. THERE. Oh girl. You just keep on keepin' on. Plus, not a single grammatical error. Winning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and Cari are in the same boat! But we love reading the reality of life, not just the good times. Also, three was the hardest adjustment for me...four and five were a piece of cake compared to three Littles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gwendolen needed to be held from approx. 6 pm until 10:30 pm every night for the first 4 months. Then one day she didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have no idea how comforted I feel reading this! I am in the EXACT situation! I have this girl on my person (in the wrap) from the moment I wake up until the moment I go to sleep, with the few precious moments of nursing/diaper changing/shower if I'm lucky. I keep telling myself that it's only a stage and will get better soon, but lately I just feel like I'm treading water...can't get ahead! Darn laundry and little kids' needs!
    Prayers coming your way...pray for me too?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was exactly what I needed to hear today! I am going through every single thing you described...except I only just had my 2nd so you are SUPER amazing for doing this with 3! I haven't even been able to bring myself to blog since Bennett was born...a whole 7 weeks! You are doing an amazing job and I wish I had more people in my life with your vulnerability, it would make things a lot easier! :) XO jillian

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, wear my baby--not 'cause I think it will turn him into some sort of emotional genius, but because it is just way easier than...not wearing the baby. Crunchiness has nothing to do with it:)

    And clean toilets are overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ana - thank you. I just have the one kid and am currently desperately trying to find a TV show she'll watch for just 30 little minutes (worst mom ever award) so I can gather my wits scattered into the furthest crannies of this apartment.

    For what it's worth, my cousin (with ellllleven children) advised me to "get past the three kid hump" as quick as possible. No joke, she told me this. Cuz after that apparently it's easy peasy.

    Hang in!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You deserve dozens of hugs for your honesty and transparency. I am a leeeetle bit older than you are, and blogs were not all the rage when I was in my three-under-four stage, but I got together with three other moms every week, and we talked about everything! My "baby" will be seven on Sunday, and I hope I never forget how very hard it is to have several little ones, how hard it is to go without sleep, how challenging it is to take an hour and a half to get out of the house, and then rush to get the errands done (with a smile on for the preschoolers!) in the forty-seven minutes before the baby screams from hunger and needs to be nursed again. It serves no one for moms to pretend that it is all easy and that life is always going swimmingly. Plus, I think it hurts when older moms forget. You are awesome for even putting the mascara on, Ana.

    p.s. - I have been reluctant to comment lately since becoming absolutely starstruck at seeing my mentor-but-she-doesn't-know-it Kimberly Hahn pictured on your blog and realizing you were *that* variety of Hahn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're doing great! I have zero parenting experience and therefore can offer no advice except to say that you do what you need to do. Even if you post something not funny, I will still read it. I soak it all up. All of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the same outlook on baby wearing. Clare lived in the moby or ergo. It was where she was happiest and I still had hands to wrangle Maggie. It really solved a lot of my problems. As did the miracle blanket. However that was with only two littles. I have heard from multiple people that 3 is the worst adjustment. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of hugs! I was the same for baby-wearing and co-sleeping...it worked(s). My MIL who has 12 (the last one is in her belly!) always tells me that it takes her a whole year to get her life back in order after a baby. So you are right on with the year estimate! Please feel free to let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you've got it together just fine, Ana. It is comforting to know you're human like the rest of us, but goodness gracious we all know wine fixes a lot of things! Keep rockin it and I'll pray for a little extra grace to come your way soon. Thank you for your honesty...and your baby-wearing co-sleeping thoughts. Makes me feel better about my get through the day/night ideals after birth. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 3 is a circus, but it's awesome!! The rules for baby #3 are: do whatever you gotta do to stay alive. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was reading this going, "amen! amen! amen! yeah! amen!"

    Trust me. I was/still am this way and I only have one. I love blogging a whole lot, like you, and I am scared that having two is going to take it away from me. Don't let them take it away from me, Ana!

    Also, I think when people say you have it all together, they take into account what they already know: 3 kids is hard, having a newborn is hard, hormones are hard, cleaning the house is stupid. So, when they say you have it all together, they know this stuff is going on. We just still think you're doing a really great job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My own little Lucy just turned one, and the third baby is tough. (For me, baby 1 was by far the toughest, the rest are comparatively easy, but still.) But you'll get through it. It probably won't even take a year! The end of her fourth trimester, all the new stages at 6 and 9 months - it'll come together sooner. And you'll be like me, ready for another ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Ana, I like you more with every post! Tell yourself a year, but I promise that by the time 6 months have passed things will be 100 times better (still rough patches but in general, much better).

    ReplyDelete