Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Reporting from my housepants

A post on housepants, from my housepants. (That's the subtitle)

I feel sure that "housepants" is not a word, but I also feel like it should be.
Maybe I will hyphenate it: house-pants? That's better.

I have been stuck in house-pants for a solid 3 months now and I am really feeling ready for it to be over. I know that it is socialy acceptable, or at least acceptable in my mom circles, and to Mike and the 2 and 3 year olds who live with me, for me to wear my maternity and post partum yoga style pants all day/every day. But I hates it.

I wear these pants every 3rd day- alternating between them and 2 other favs. It's a great little schedule.

Nothing makes me feel less like my day is started than residing in the same kind of pants that I sleep in, heck some days they are the very same pants. The problem is that I can't seem to find a good alternative right now. My lone good maternity jeans only stay up over my bottom half for 2.3 seconds anymore after I put them on and all other jeans I own refuse to stay up on their own and leave me looking like the neighborhood plumber every time I bend down.

What are my options here? Am I doomed to be wearing pajama jeans until I rid myself of the muffin top? Or must I give in to the skin-tight jegging trend because at least they will stay up, even if they do look painted on?
I tried out a pair of these and pretty much ended up like Kramer here.

Or should I simply adjust my expectations for what these post-pregnancy days hold clothing-wise? Are these questions rhetorical? It's all so puzzling.

14 comments :

  1. Please tell me what you find out! I am currently rocking a whole lotta yoga pants that haven't seen a lick of yoga. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could tru Leggings and a tunic with a cute scarf. The tunic is long enought to cover trouble spots but Short enough the make nursing accessible! The other thing I do postpartum is have naive pair of postpartum non maternity pants that are a size or two larger that regular. You body and hips take time to go back and wearing you skinny clothes will both look bad and make you sad. It's worth it to have a pair if you plan on having anymore kids. They also
    Come in handy during the first trimester when you're still in that awkward stage before the bump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the record I am not illiterate, I'm just typing on a phone and between an independently minded auto correct and clumsy fingers I make a lot of mistakes!

      Delete
    2. HA! I did not think you were illiterate :) I LOVE the tunic idea! Way to think outside the box, now I need to go shopping.

      Delete
    3. Also don't forget the very forgiving trend of leggings with a slouchy sweater. Add scarf. Also, when you can't shop, do as all good mothers of three do, be a shut-in shopper. You can always send the hubby out on the weekends to mail back returns.

      Delete
  3. What about drawstring pants? They are usually popular during the summer-- maybe you could find some on a clearance rack? I don't know. I only wear real pants when I leave the house. At home, I'm always rocking housepants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy looks like a real life doll! Love that pic of the 4 of you! I like the target pants. I am currently wearing some skinny jeans that could probably be painted on. I also have the top button unbuttoned to accommodate my muffin top and they are staying up! I say do what you want! :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gave up on pants about a year and a half ago, not through sola skirtura, just from annoyance at always being in jeans and a t-shirt of some kind. I found that skirts and leggings or dresses and legging are prettier and more forgiving than pants. And then I got pregnant with twins, and haven't returned to a non-lumpy shape yet, so it's still skirts and dresses.

    Anything with a wrapover or deep v is good for nursing, and knit dresses are comfy enough to sleep in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many good ideas, so little non-baby time to go shopping...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always keep a pair of regular jeans one size up from my normal for the postpartum time, works like a charm! I'm like you, for some reason i feel better once i am wearing normal clothes, not housepants/pajamas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Come to the dark side. Skinny jeans and a belly band: a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hang in there! I feel your pain. It took my body a lot longer to fit into anything "normal" the third time around. I felt like I wore the same sweat everyday for FOREVER. Ask Dev, he can tell you all about it since I probably whined about it every time I put them on, haha. But 6 months later my hips and "organs" finally seem to be migrating to their old homes, so don't worry, it will get better!! PS, I think you look amazing anyway! PPS How adorable is that picture?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have jeans in 3 different sizes to go from maternity down to regular size. 'Cause I can't wear maternity forever (thank God) but there's no way I can go straight into "real" pants. If you hit the g-dub, it won't break the bank either. Good luck, darlin'!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL!! I laughed so much in this post! Loved the video. I totally hear ya about wearing housepants all day and feeling like you've never really changed from pjs. i usually wear jean that are uncomfortable when i go out to see people, and then immediately change into my "housepants" as soon as I get home. Unforunately, my pants seam started ripping in an area that most people would not like to see through......so, i just got a new pair of maternity yoga pants...and for the time being, i'm so excited! but of course, for me, I'm in the 2 trimester and still enjoying the lounge-feeling....but let me know how it goes and i'll love the advice after this baby!!

    ReplyDelete