Monday, February 24, 2014

a wonderful weekend

I am staring at my computer screen waiting for words to start typing themselves in order to adequately recap a fabulous trip home with no children for the celebration of my wonderful dad's 60th birthday but keep hitting the fatigued and confused speed bump that comes from reentering normal life after 48 hours alone.

I guess I am just going to go for it.

How does a family adequately honor a man who took this:

and made this?:

With even more to come in 2014:



I don't know, but we sure gave it our all. The generosity of my dad and his sacrificial giving and openness to life are constant inspirations to everyone he knows, which was evident from the weekend's festivities and all who gathered to celebrate his life. It was such a joy to get to be there to celebrate. All of my siblings made it in for the celebration, a super fun party was thrown,


and while we did not get around to recreating an awkward family photo, we did snap a fresh awkward one for the books:

The only bad part was that it had to end.

Meanwhile on the home front, Mike was a busy beaver playing dad of the year watching all three girls with nary another adult hand in sight. He managed to run 4 store errands with them, keep the house spotless, get the laundry folded and put away, install a new ceiling fan and new light switches in the kitchen (while the girls were awake), keep them happy and fed and a build duplo tower to the ceiling with them:

He is amazing.

Lucy threw him a nice big curve ball by spiking a 103 degree fever Saturday night and being, as Mike said, "a puddle of pain and sadness" for the remainder of the time until I got home, which he handled marvelously. Obviously this all serves to make me want to go away alone again since he did 100 times better at my job than me.

Now I go forward armed with nothing into the never ending abyss of time that is the hours until bed time. Pray that they do not defeat me.

10 comments :

  1. I thought about you all all weekend! I am so happy that all of you were able to get together. I know Chris was so excited to be with everyone :) Happy birthday to your dad! And the preggo Homol ladies look awesome, FYI. You all carry pregnancy so darn beautifully. Glad the weekend was as fantastic as I'd imagined it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my heavens - SO MANY OFFSPRING. I love it.

    And how are husbands so much better at being moms?!? Mine is the same way. On days when I'm alone with one kid, I get maybe half of a chore done. When he's alone with him for the day? Multiple stores, laundry, dishes, inevitably some kind of house repair... totally unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now THAT is a beautiful family portrait! I hope mine looks like that one day! :) What a great witness to openness to life! Glad you had a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a good weekend!
    Electric work while watching solo parenting ~ bonus points!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the transition from the first picture to the second - what a beautifully blessed family! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all so great! Love your dad. and your family. I remember when you were pregnant with Naomi and i think she is #13...and now 27! In 5 years! So fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously- when moms go away, dads seem to rock at solo parenting! After half a day of going it alone I'm ready for help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing photos of offspring!! I love that pregnant lady photo. So cool!

    Mike - applause, applause, applause!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are so many levels of awesomeness in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an achievement, how proud and grateful you all must be.
    …and to Mike…..champion dad!

    ReplyDelete