Linking up with Jen for some quick takes because it's Friday and let's face it, Quick Takes is kind of the new Boy Meets World.
1) I feel like the kids can sense my discouragement after days like yesterday, which is odd because I never let on to how stressed I am*. They always come back and show me that they do indeed have little hearts and also possess the ability to act like somewhat normal, rational human beings. Today has been worlds better, no father's day miracle or anything, plenty of crazy, but a more appropriate ratio of normal to crazy. We even ventured out to the store, all 4 of us, and as an added challenge to myself and bonus for the girls I did not force them to sit and be strapped into the cart with the bench but rather let them walk with me and "help" me. And Wonder of Wonder, Miracle of Miracles: they were the best they have ever been at the store- I choose not to see any correlation there.
2) Though I tried to restrain myself during our shopping, I just could not pass up this major deal on super cute Notre Dame tees. I have lived here for 5 years and this is my first non-thrift store purchased domer shirt, which is really cute, and actually fits and doesn't have a weird smell to it that won't come out. I'm a little excited about it.
3) The girls were so good during the trip that they, and I, were awarded with donuts and as the most special bonus of all, we sat at the little cafe in the grocery store and ate them as well as some ham and bananas to round out a healthy lunch. After which Naomi exclaimed "I've never had this much fun in all my life!!" You haven't lived very long and have extremely boring parents, my dear.
4) I figure since I just polished off that other half of my donut it would be a great time to mention my new favorite protein powder. Ok, this is the ONLY protein powder I have ever tried and I only bought it because it was the cheapest and lowest calorie jar at Kroger, but I love it. I got sucked into the morning smoothie ritual which seems to be sweeping the world recently but was not totally sold on the banana, chia seed, and peanut butter combo I had going on. I think it was only providing me with about 7 grams of protein per serving and that was not cutting it. Enter Designer Whey protein powder:
I think it has 18 grams in one scoop and only 100 calories, and though it smells nasty, it actually tastes great. I throw it in with one frozen banana, a teaspoon of cocoa powder, and 1/2 skim milk and badabing badaboom. It gives me a really weird spike in energy that kind of freaked me out the first day I drank it, and I would call it placebo effect, but I waited and waited to feel the energy spike that everyone said chia seeds would give me and maybe I was expending all the energy picking the seeds from my teeth, but I just never felt it.
5) Speaking of drink recipes, I am absolutely dying to try Hallie's drink recipe from her Love in the Land of Grilled Cheese post, which was incidentally such a great date night post. My newlywed sister and her husband are coming for a short visit this weekend and I am thinking that may be the very occasion to make a run to the liquor store, we'll see how crazy we're feeling.
6) Thank you thank you to all the sweet commenters on Monday's Why I Blog post. Contrary to how I usually do, I was not even fishing for compliments on the blog or anything, simply over-informing the masses and lo and behold I got the very nicest, encouraging comments from so many of you:
So thanks to Amy, Amelia, Kathleen, Andrea, Jennifer, Kris, Lauren, Lily, Maia, Jenna, Emily, and Katrina for all the love- you da best. Sorry, adhd neurofeedback I just had a feeling you were spam.
7) I am bringing up the rear as always with anything remotely hip, and honestly I do not know if this is actually "hip", but I have just discovered Space Unicorn and have basically been singing nothing else in my head for the entirety of this week. It's great.
*I always do.